+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default At what age should you censor babies television?

In your opinion, at what age should you be censoring what babies/toddlers see on TV?

I don't mean with regards to loud, scary, screaming violent TV which would upset even the tiniest baby by the sounds; but rather I mean adult content, the news, crime documentaries, discussions about sex etc.

In my opinion this was not critical around a newborn, but as my DD learns to understand things we say to her, I wonder to what extent I should be censoring the TV when it's on.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only recently stopped watching tv shows around dd1. She will be 3 in Aug.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD was around 3-4 months old. I don't find it appropriate for them to be watching/hearing adult shows once they are "aware".

A lot don't agree with me though but at 3.5 DD still hasn't seen any adult shows. Ever.

When she was a newborn I watched lots of mature shows late at night while BFing but that's all. I waited till she was asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    DD was around 3-4 months old. I don't find it appropriate for them to be watching/hearing adult shows once they are "aware".

A lot don't agree with me though but at 3.5 DD still hasn't seen any adult shows. Ever.

When she was a newborn I watched lots of mature shows late at night while
    but that's all. I waited till she was asleep.
    I agree with this. I heavily censor what ds watches/is exposed to on tv and always have. We are not much of a tv family, so it is easy for us. No judgment for those who do differently, though.
    Last edited by Barnaby; 04-05-2013 at 18:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When they start paying attention I suppose.

I don't really censor much, mine will be 8 soon... But I don't put on anything with graphic violence or sex when she's around so I do censor a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS turned 2 in march and he is scared of monsters on tv ( we were watching ghost busters the other night) so I guess I will be watching what we put on tv from now on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    for me it was when I thought DS was starting to pay attention, so maybe age 3 and it was mostly about the language and sexual content not violence (real or otherwise).

Though having said that the news is always on and he will ask the occasional question about it and I explain honestly but at a level he will understand.

He has also watched movies from a very young age that some people would find inappropriate so I do not censor anywhere as much as others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I censor from pretty early on (?3 - 4 months) as I didn't want my bub to hear yelling, distressed people, screaming, etc that is frequent on shows like CSI/NCIS that I like to watch. I read a few years ago about the stats of the amount of violent acts (shootings, stabbings, fights, etc) that children watch on TV and how it can make them immune to violence and that convicted me to reduce the amount of violence my children watch.

My ds is 6 and has a photographic memory and is prone to nightmares so I still have to be pretty cautious about what he watches. He doesn't watch the news, I won't even have it on when he's in the room as it might look like he's doing something else, but then he'll suddenly ask a question about what's on the tv and I realise he is paying attention.