+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week

Default How to help DS gain weight

DS has always been a bit of a light weight (well since he was about 2, he was 9lb born lol) and has gone through stages where he's not gained for a long time. The only times he's lost is when he was 3-4 months old and when he had his appendix out in 2011 (he stopped eating for 4 days).

We weighed him a few months ago and he was 26.something so we thought he was finally starting to put on some bulk. Last night Ds was wondering around without a shirt on and DH commented on just how skinny he is so put him on the scales. 24.5kg....he's lost about 2kg.

He's eating a decent size meal finally. That took a lot to get him to move from toddler size meals but he's actually eating the typical amount for a 9 year old now. I don't know what I can give him to help him gain weight. We're making the change to a vegan diet so Sustagen and other whey based things aren't an option.

If any one has suggestions that would be wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sure you have numerous very valid reasons for making the transition to a vegan diet, however, given the circumstances now may not be the best time. It's a big challenge for anyone and usually with this transition there is an initial weight loss.
    Some vegan friendly options- nuts and seeds
    good oils and avocado.

I hope others who have been in a similar position can offer some other suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Does he eat healthy fats like avocado and nut butters? Could you increase his portion size or give more frequent meals?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    When we have avocado he will eat it like it's going out of fashion but isn't too keen on nut butters or even nut bars and the likes. Never really has been. He snacks through out the day on fruit and I have been making smoothies with bananas, berries and oat milk. He's having a decent size meal so I'm not sure I can up it more.

We're doing it all slowly so it's hasn't been a big shock to his system that he now isn't getting dairy or eggs. He's still having a some dairy on a daily basis but I don't want to introduce more at this time. When we transitioned to vegetarian he actually gained weight for the first time in a long time. The gradual changes shouldn't be having that big of an impact. We're hoping over time his gymnastics will help him with muscle bulk (he's weedy and quite weak) but that will be a slow process.

Is this sort of weight loss a worry in a 9 year old? I thought he'd be over at 30kg at this age but it still feels like it'll be years away yet lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Is your DS naturally skinny? My DS is 8 and a half and he weighs about 26kg. He has a naturally thin body though. His father does and one of my brothers are the same so it's probably just genetics.

Could you introduce more protein into your DS' s diet? Vitasoy do a vegan friendly version of the up&go, maybe consume more tofu- it's easy to blend silken tofu into things, eat more legumes, add sesame seeds, chia seeds and the likes to everything to add extra protein?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    DS does seem to be naturally skinny. His father was quite slender as a kid and so were my brothers so I can only assume it has a bit to do with just how skinny he is. He'd be about 4' tall so really does look like a string bean lol.

We got a bit slack with the diet for a bit and were eating a lot of easy foods like Quorn, wedges and stuffed mushrooms. Whilst still healthy the meals could have used a bit more to make them a little more "whole". More lentils, beans and other foods packed with lots of nutrients are on the menu now. And I found a cheap replacement for worcestershire sauce so back to making my yummo lentil cottage pie.