+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Constipation

My 6 yr old DD has had bowel and stomach issues all her life, which have mostly calmed down now. However she's still very constipated.
    Our OT has suggested that DD needs an xray to check the serverity, and that she may need a clean out.
    Can anyone shed some light on this procedure? Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default The procedure

Its probably happened by now - they'll x-ray her, and if she's as full-up as she seems to be, they'll give her an enema or two.
    You could've done the enemas yourself - you can get the equipment online and it's fractionally less terrifying for them done by a parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did she go LOAP?.

This happened to my 6 yo as well, I couldn't believe how much was in there from the X-ray. She needed a couple of enemas to get it all moving and out - not fun

I have found that adding a little bit of benefibre to her water bottle every couple of days has really helped to keep her going.

Hope your little one is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thanks girls. DD did well, pead did prescribe suppositries, para choc, an increase in movicol (up to 6 adult satches twice a day!!!) and we need to go back in a few weeks. Its seemed to help, her little bottom isnt bleeding but she does still strain a fair bit. its been backed down to lactalous, parachoc and movicol now. Grr. Her xray was insane, so packed in there! Her xray also showed up Perthes Disease, which we werent expecting!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried dietary things to help too like pear juice, I creased fibre etc?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flyawayfree For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sure have. tried the lot.
    She was so excited (gross i know) to have gone to the toilet after her 1st suppository lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a procedure called a bowel wash out. Were you talking about that or just a clean out with enemas?

A bowel wash out is where they insert a catheter into the rectum and use a saline solution to flush out the stool

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Op have you tried lactulose drops? The paed recommended parachoc for my ds but he wouldn't take it (I don't blame him) so I got him the lactulose drops, done wonders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kimberlygal1, is that any different or more potent to the oily syrup stuff?

Gizmoduckus it was just the meds for now, will revisit the possibilty of a full wash out next check up