+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 2.5 yo won't listen or follow instructions in his soccer classes. What can I do?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Perhaps he/she is a little too young for soccer class? I doubt either of my children would follow instructions in a class at 2.5.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

babycake  (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't have any real advice but neither would mine so we pulled out of the classes...

And I noticed he wasn't the only one who was struggling to follow instructions. I think it's pretty normal for a 2.5 year old to want to run off and do their own thing. I tried to keep pulling him back and getting him to focus but it only resulted in him getting upset and me getting upset... which defeats the whole purpose of going as I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to be fun!
    Last edited by bitterpure; 04-05-2013 at 10:42.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think 2.5 is way too young for structured activities like that. Unless it's something that you're right there with them, like swimming or rhyme time. In very surprised they have soccer for 2.5 year olds, tbh.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (04-05-2013),BornToBe  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, was it 'soccer time kids'?

If it was they don't actually play soccer at that age exactly. The parents have to be with them the whole time and you do various activities. Half the activities don't even involve soccer balls - there's songs, running around obstacle courses, climbing through tubes etc. Sounded good in theory but all DS wanted to do was run around and kick the ball... which he wasn't 'allowed' to do at certain times and hence he got cranky. I couldn't blame him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long has he been doing it for? I would keep persisting, it usually takes a few lessons before they get into it and understand but if he is not having fun though maybe try again in 6 months?

My DS has been doing. " little kickers" since 18 months - he just moved up to the 2.5 year group which does not involve parent participation , it's brilliant as they play games with colours and shapes and learn to play in a group, and learn to take instruction - our coach is brilliant - the kids learn to sit and wait their turn, cheer for the other kids and they do stretches and kick little soccer balls!

Yes as toddlers they don't always follow instruction 100% of the time but they have fun trying!

I definitely don't think it's too young for structured activity - but it depends on the child
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 04-05-2013 at 12:02.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

lexamophone  (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Way way too young ....

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterpure View Post
    OP, was it 'soccer time kids'?

If it was they don't actually play soccer at that age exactly. The parents have to be with them the whole time and you do various activities. Half the activities don't even involve soccer balls - there's songs, running around obstacle courses, climbing through tubes etc. Sounded good in theory but all DS wanted to do was run around and kick the ball... which he wasn't 'allowed' to do at certain times and hence he got cranky. I couldn't blame him!
    Oh, fair enough. Well, if it's something like that I would say just to expect your toddler won't listen or want to join in sometimes. I wouldn't push it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think it is too young as well.

DD is 2 1/2 and we do kindergym together...the onus on together! I am with her all the time and every child is there with a 1 on 1 carer and 2 staff. Sometimes, DD doesn't want to do circle time etc and I have to make the call on whether to persist or do another activity...i don't like not joining in as I know it becomes a big distraction for the other kids who are in the circle.

I won't let her do a class where she is in there with out me till about 3 1/2 when she will start karate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, too young. DD still doesn't go too well with structure at 3.5!

I'm not saying take him out but don't be too hard on him. If he sees the other kids following instructions he will hopefully get the idea.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

lexamophone  (04-05-2013)