+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fencing In A Houdini Dog!

Aaarrgghhh! We have a houdini dog! When we first moved in we got a bunch of dog mesh and attached it to the less than perfect existing fence in order to keep the houdini dog in. This worked for awhile until she realised that she could fit through the wire mesh. She is a kelpie x with something unknown but she looks basically like a thin red kelpie. So she ended up with a lump of pine attached to a collar around her neck so that she couldnt fit through the wire. Well now she has found a way to get out with the lump of wood so I am at a loss. We cant really afford to re-fence the yard but it looks like we now have no choice. She kills the neighbours chickens (which he free-ranges on his unfenced land) and he is going to complain if she does it again leading to all sorts of bad news. I am worried if the council gets too many complaints that they may just take her away! We can't tie her up permenantly cause it just leads her to nuisence barking habits and it seems cruel to tie her up when we have another dog who will not be tied (she is a good girl). We have a baby due any day now, I cant be dealing with this rubbish! So what is the cheapest fencing that you know of that will keep houdini dog's in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you walk the dog often?? We had a kelpie in the past & they often escape when they haven't been walked... They are a working dog so need a lot of exercise..

Unfortunately can't help with the fence situation but maybe more frequent exercise (if you aren't already) will help it stop trying to escape!

Have you looked into those electric fence collar things.. That could be an option if they aren't too expensive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, we walk them both. She seems to get out more often the more frequent she is walked. Like she is reminded of the world outside and wants to go there. She also has a huge back yard and our other dog to play with (staffy x kelpie).

I really cant bring myself to do the shock collar thing. I would rather send her to MIL for awhile than do that but that isnt a long term option either.

It just seems that every fencing option that will work is very expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you partially fence your yard? Are you in suburbia or on the land?
    I would put up a proper 6ft timber fence (or a very high tension chicken wire fence but a kelpie would most likely jump that).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Suburbia. Ideally We would like a colourbond fence but its expensive. She would chew through chicken wire. She has done it before. I was looking at wooden fencing but it seems to be comparable to colourbond in price depending on where you get it from so I really dont know. I just wish she would be content like our other dog is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is your hubby handy? Colour bond can work out cheaper as the labour cost in timber fences are what makes them expensive.

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you make a dog run? So she can still use the yard but not make it to the boundaries? We had to do that with our Staffy who would climb or jump the fences if home alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Is your hubby handy? Colour bond can work out cheaper as the labour cost in timber fences are what makes them expensive.
    Yeah, we will build the fence ourselves no matter what sort it is. Its more the cost of the materials and stuff. Him and his family & friends are all pretty handy people which does help. We are just very broke cause we have just had to get a new car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I had the same problem with my cattle cross. Search for Sureguard who are based in Lismore NSW. I got a low voltage dog fence (called a ping string fence) - you don't need a collar. Its just a wire thats goes in front of the fence. I didn't like the idea much but it only took one zap and I don't even have it turned on anymore. I think it cost about $450 all up - much cheaper than fencing and peace of mind that he isn't going walk about while I'm at work. He never did it when I'm home - just when I was out as i think he just gets bored and he lives with another dog too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definately prefer something like that to the collar idea. She is smart so it wouldnt take her long to learn. Ill look into that.