+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default clinic V's self insemination?

I live in WA and my partner and I are looking into having a baby. We have a male friend that has said he donate sperm, but we're wondering if we should go through the clinic or do self insemination. Self insemination will be quicker and a lot cheeper and easier but is illegal in WA which will make it difficult for my partner to be the legal second parent. Where as if we go through a clinic my partner will be automatically the second parent on the birth certificate. I'd like some advice from people who have been through this decision, what did you choose and what was the outcome?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey. We struggled with the same dilemma .
    in the end we decided we wanted two mums, not three parents. So we went anon ivf...and have one beautiful DD, and another on the way.
    so uncomplicated, and perfect outcome.
    good luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's tricky, did both through a clinic and self. But im single so it was not an issue for me. Either way be thorough and as prepared as you can be, it can be a long and draining process. Good luck to you! Oh btw I am 19 weeks pregnant through self insemination, it actually worked both times, where as clinic worked only 2 out of 5 times (all but this one ended in losses) so self can work that's for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default j

My advice would be to go with a clinic. The extra time it takes & the cost will fade in to insignificance in the long run. Your partner being on the birth certificate is pretty important plus it will protect you and your donor from any future complications (eg; donor decides he wants shared custody... case law has allowed this to happen with home insemination, or if your child tried to access some of your donors assets as inheritance in the event of his passing in the future) Protects both families and don't forget it means STIs can be screened for plus any potential issues such as PCOS or sperm motility can be picked up and addressed accordingly.
    Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You an do the same screening they do at a clinic with self insemination. We screened for stis and the health of the sperm. But if there are problems with both partner being in a birth certificate the clinic might be the way to go, I also had a going over and testing before hand but that was for IVF so I would recommend that so your to wasting precious time if there are fertility issues