+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sometimes I do. Although I'm a teacher so I get a lot of holidays and I just pay half rate and keep DS2 home with DS1 and I. But if I don't get a supply day I still sometimes send him so I can book appointments etc. without him. He usually goes from 9 - 2 on those days (and is only awake for 2 or so hours). Wouldn't bother me to send him though anyway and have a day to myself - I do enjoy his company when his big brother is at school and it's just the two of us. But it means being stuck at home during nap time and if I have things to do ill just send him. I've been known to just take him there while I do groceries too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies

I actually don't have the option to pay half rate if I keep him home, so it's still $50 oop. When I have holidays between semesters I always change it to 1 day per week (my centre is very accommodating of this) because he loves daycare, gets to interact with other kids and even though we a lot of similar things at home (I have worked in childcare and studying EC education), he does different things at daycare. If I were to keep him home for 6 weeks while I was on holidays he would probably face major anxiety having to go back after so long.
    Now that I'm pregnant with #2 I have a feeling I will want those days for appointments anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work rotating shifts and DD goes to care the same set 3 days each week. So if I'm not working and it's a care day she still goes. That's the only chance I get to clean, she's a clingy one who never let's me do anything. She will usually get dropped off at 10 and picked up at 3.30 so it's not a long day for her. Still longer than when my dad minds her when I'm at work, he drops her off at 10 and picks her up at 1

Since I'm a shift worker I'm allowed more absences and can still get the rebate. She skips when we go visiting people. I would definitely be over the amount she's allowed to be away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    By the same token the kids are also probably tired and would like a day off at home!

I don't think care and work are quite the same thing. I would quite happily go play with my friends and play games rather than go to work.

The difference is kids will get a day at home with their parents on weekends. However parents rarely get a day at home without the kids.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (04-05-2013),shelle65  (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes but don't your kids go on holiday with you? Doesn't that count as a holiday from care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is home sick all the time anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I only had one DD and she was in care 5 days a week whilst I worked then yes when I had the day off I would keep her home with me. I enjoyed having a mummy and daughter day whenever I could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think its different for kids in 1-3 days a week and full time kids.

Kids in full time might want a day to lounge around. But kids in part time get 3-5 days a week to chill out at home if there are no activities planned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think its different for kids in 1-3 days a week and full time kids.

Kids in full time might want a day to lounge around. But kids in part time get 3-5 days a week to chill out at home if there are no activities planned.
    Very true. I guess I'm writing from the perspective of DD only being in 3 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just want to add that my children only go 2 days a week this year because I am on mat leave.

I don't feel guilty about it. In fact, my DD1 especially loves going and is at the age where she enjoys the company of her friends to my company. My son also enjoys it.

I don't think I need to spend all my time with my 2 older kids. I don't believe it's healthy and I don't believe it's necessarily best. Bills need to be paid, shopping and cleaning needs to be done, errands need to be run. I would rather my kids be in daycare than be dragged around with me doing boring jobs or stuck at home while I am doing things I need to do.

IMO, children thrive on routine. Keeping my kids away from daycare would stuff up their routine. My daughter just had 2 weeks off preschool for school holidays, which she also attends 2 days and the change was too much. It was nice for her to have a rest, but the routine was out of whack.