+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Child lying about being sick

So my daughter had a bit of a sore throat Friday last week, she was at the end of it and was well enough to go to school so I sent her. She was carrying on a bit so I told her that if she wasn't well I would go and pick her up. So of course I had to go and pick her up an hour or so after her being at school. She was fine, definitely not sick enough to come home from school but because she had previously had a sore throat I believed her at first.

Then today she was totally fine this morning, no signs of being sick at all and I get a call from the school at 10am saying that she's sick and can I come and pick her up. She looked fine when I picked her up and as soon as she got home she wanted to eat (so obviously wasn't that sick!) and I told her she had to rest for the rest of the day, no toys or cartoons etc.
    Anyway I asked her again if she was actually sick and she just admitted to me that she lied to get out of school. She is only 5 and there are no bullying issues or anything of that nature so not entirely sure why she would do it but how do I handle this?? I told her the story about the boy who cried wolf and tried to explain that lying isn't good etc. But I don't know how else to handle this!!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DS can be a bit of a drama queen and has suggested a couple of times he is too go to school. I've told him that if he's too sick to go to school then he has to stay in bed all day, no TV, no toys and the only thing he can eat is toast. (Basically I've tried to make it sound as boring as possible.)

I've also told him that if I don't send him to school (other than when he is genuinely ill) then the I will be in trouble with the police (which of course is an extreme exaggeration but there is a little bit of truth in there).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum had a similar issue with me when I was in Grade two. Mum realised that I was saying I was sick on a certain day every week so she spoke with my teacher.

Turned out that on that day every week they did a reading thing where all the kids sat on the floor and one of the girls used to sit behind me and play with my hair which I hated (scared of getting nits) so to get out of it I would pretend to be sick.

Once they worked that out the teacher changed how we would all sit and I was fine away from that girl.

Maybe see if your daughter does the same next Friday and speak to the teacher. It may not be bullying but might be something that she doesn't like doing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to missf For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep- have done had this with DS. It was last year, said he was sick so I said- ok, home today. He had to stay in bed all day with veggies to eat and water to drink. He could read books if he wanted but that was it. He soon got very bored and was happy to go back to school the next day. We haven't had any more "sickies" since.

I have also done the government thing as well. He complains that he hates going to school and what not and I tell him- well, that's something your going to have to take up with the government because it's law for children to attend schools (I don't go into the homeschool thing).

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree make it as boring as possible, maybe even add in some horrible fruit juice as "medicine". We also had the police chat, I said "it's my job as mummy to make sure you go to school every day, and if you miss too many days the police will want to know why". Mind you, dd1 is still 5, I'm sure it gets harder as they get older. I loved staying home as a kid and hooked off a lot of classes as a teen...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS pulled this once on me in Prep, he was adamant he was unwell and as it was the first time he'd ever said it I believed him. Sure enough within a half hour past school start time he had perked right up and drove me nuts. I too did the no fun stuff and had a chat to him about the boy who cried wolf. Turned out a mate of his had pulled the same stunt on his Mum so DS wanted to see if he could (hmm fell for that one!). Hasn't done it since and we still talk to him about the importance of going to school and how booorringg it will be at home if he's sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD rarely gets sick, like pretty much never so when she does she gets some pretty high quality attention and pampering because its so sad for us to see her not her normal bubbly self.

This means that we have had a couple of occasions where she would lay it on a bit thick & it was pretty easy to figure out why. We simply explained to her that if she felt like she needed some extra attention etc to just let us know , that she doesn't have to pretend to be sick. So every now and again she will have a pyjama day with lots of snuggles and pampering and her mysterious 'illnesses' haven't happened since.

I would try and figure out what it is she likes about sick days (or what she doesn't like about school) and see if that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think I did this a couple of times as a kid too. dd seems to be the opposite, shes has a bit of a cold and the times I've asked her if she feels well enough to go to school and that she can stay home, she refuses. I'll probably have to tie her to the bed to keep her home when she gets too sick to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an excellent relationship with my gp, I actually see a husband/wife pair both gps at the same clinic. My daughter has a condition where she produces too much insulin- not diabetes, but she can slip into hypoglycaemia fairly easily if she doesn't eat properly.
    So, at 10 years old, she realised she could take advantage of this. She was giving her breakfast to the dog, then going to school. At school, of course, her blood sugars would drop, she would go this deathly grey colour, for all the world looking like a corpse, and pass out.
    Of course, I would be called immediately, pick her up, the school would have already given her the glucose syrup she needed but I would take her home and she would suit on the couch watching tv for the rest of the day.
    The first few times I didn't clue on- I was in my final year of study and so exhausted and stressed that it didn't occur to me at first what was happening.
    When I realised, I took her to the doctor, and told him exactly what was going on. He wrote a doctors note to be given to the school, reading out loud what he was typing so she knew what it said too. It was some thing like "If (child name) is feeling unwell she is to eat something then return to class. If she passes out, she is to have a glucose drink, lay down for half an hour, and return to class. This can happen up to 4 times a day before her mother is to be called."
    Walking out if the doctors office shes saying, "you won't give that to the school. Your just bluffing."
    so I took her straight to the school, walked up to the office with her by my side, and gave it to them.
    Next day she ate her breakfast. In fact, that was the last time I've been asked to pick her up for her hypoglycaemia. Apparently, after talking to the teacher, she will ask to go eat something occasionally, but other than that she had had no further symptoms at school. Nothing like calling a bluff to help. Of course, that was an older child, when mine were younger, if they came home sick they were allowed nothing but soup to eat, and had to stay in bed all day except for toilet breaks. Nothing quite like being bored to make school look inviting.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ARCTICJULZ; 03-05-2013 at 12:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my dd kept on trying this! in the end soon as I realised she was faking it, I took her straight back!! certainly doesn't try it anymore. lol.