+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mater mothers public, private room?

Is it possible to go public but pay for a private room? Has anyone done this? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    At Mater MH Brisbane I tried to do this last year when I was admitted after a ceasarean. My plan was to go home from birth suites but all that changed. When I requested I be admited as a private patient in a public hospital. Their answer was 'there is too much paperwork' .... They said they would upgrade me to a single room of one came available but there were special care babies in the single rooms with their mums. It's on sharing with one other person which wasn't the bad. Next time I won't bother asking but hopefully I can just go home. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your response. I will be having csection. How did you go recovery wise in the public? I was private last time and had my husband stay with me and he did everything the first night while I was on bed rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    24 hours bed rest because of the Epidural/spinal. DH couldn't stay overnight but he stayed as long as he could. The midwives were awesome. I buzzed every time I needed baby out of her cot and they would come and help me get organised to feed till I was up and about. After that they were still great with pain management and feeding help. The benefit of public is I didn't pay for any of it including the paediatrician and lactation consultant. I honestly couldn't fault it. I had a lady who couldn't speak English next to me so unless she had visitors she was quiet. It's 3 days in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a public patient in the private ward (lucky me) at the Mater. I thought about doing private for 2nd bub but the cost were just too high & I didn't feel the care was exceptional or anything. Don't get me wrong they were lovely & I'm sure the public ward will be the same. I was in for 3 days & after day 1 ... I wanted home.
    For our next bub will be applying for a midwife care program where you don't need to stay in at all (or very min time) I'm not sure if that's available for c sections though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is great to hear your experiences with them, thank you!