+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Centre link - not entitled to anything !

I have no job and have just found out I'm pregnant. I used to work for myself but have moved and am now having to restart again.
    I live with my partner who is casual employee but mostly works full time hours. I have no children so I am only entitled to job seeker payments.. Which I am only able to get if my partner earns under 1560$ gross a fortnight and sometimes he earns like 20$ over the amount...
    I have no idea how we will afford rent and bills when what little of my savings run out. I thought I would have a job by now but it hasn't worked out that way I don't know what to do or where to go? If I don't get a health care card can I still have the baby public ? I'm a high risk pregnancy due to my history and already have crazy morning sickness at 5wks

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm sorry your in such a tough situation have you considered asking centerlink if you can speak to a financial advisor?

Yes as long as you have a Medicare card your birth will be free through the public system

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    You don't need to have a health care card to give birth in a public hospital, just be entitled to medicare.

I think $750 a week to spend is more than a lot of people have, even with kids.
    I agree completely! We have lived off that amount with a mortgage and a child many many times.
    It's absolutely doable, you just need to go onto a strict budget and prioritise your spending. Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You don't need to have a health care card to give birth in a public hospital, just be entitled to medicare.

I guess that depends on outgoings.
    OP, is there any luxuries you can cut out or cut back on?
    $750 a week is doable, but you may need to follow a strict budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have debt payments from my divorce. I can't afford to pay rent utilities and credit cards etc on that amount and he doesn't always receive that much which makes budgeting hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Strict budgeting and $750 a week is doable especially with no kids. Is your rent a lot maybe look at movingto somewhere cheaper,food bill stretch it out its tough but all those luxury items cull them. Don't wait for your electricity bill to role around pay 10-20 dollars a week off it. If your on a mobile plan go prepaid. Before DHs current job he was earning $670 a week with 2 kids and we managed so trust me it is doable it just requires a little sacrifice and very strict budgeting, etc.
    If your entitled to Medicare then your birth will be free through the public system you don't need a healthcare card.

Me (21) DH (25) DS (4) DD (2)
    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 02-05-2013 at 15:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh with loans if you have any most have a financial hardship policy could be something worth looking into

Best if luck though

Me (21) DH (25) DS (4) DD (2)
    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are in the same boat, I don't and can't get a cent as DP is just over. It is absolutely doable. We certainly couldn't buy but we rent and I have a car loan too which without that we could probably afford a small mortgage. We only have Dd but we get by fine. it's all just cutting back what's not needed, budgeting, planning and shopping around for the best deals.

We shop at Coles and I have a fly us card. For every 2000 flybuys points I save I can cash that for $10 to spend at any Coles affiliated shop. I recently turned 10,000 points to $50 which paid half that weeks shop! Points are so easy to get too because you have base points plus weekly bonuses and bonus tickets as well. So sometimes with bonuses we can get 1,500 points a shop!

You can also cook meals with a few extra portions and freeze the extra portions for dinners later. Making the extra portions in the one batch is cheaper than buying the ingredients and making in separate batches.

You'll be able to manage. I know it sounds daunting now but planning and budgets will help ease the worry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (02-05-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I live off $500 a week and dp only contributes $100 a week so hopefully you'll be right! I second the pp's idea of talking to a financial adviser or someone similar at centrelink.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You might have to consolidate debt either with a bank or with someone like fox symes. Unfortunately we had to do it when #1 came along.