+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Surrogate in Adelaide, South Australia (SA)

Hi,

My name is Phoebe, I'm 22 and am looking at becoming a surrogate in Adelaide, SA, and I was wondering if anyone knew much about the laws here and how I would go about finding a family that is in need of a surrogate.

I am considering becoming a surrogate with my own eggs or someone else (I'm not phased), I'm more than happy with Gay couples and singles, I want a C-section only (no natural birth as my family always grows big babies!), and I am not looking at making any money out of this but I would be looking at getting some money to help with day-to-day expenses, elective C-section cost and any other pregnancy related expenses.

I would be happy to sign any legal documents and do not want to have anything to do with the child unless the child would like to meet me later on in their life.

I would also like any potential parents to provide me with police checks as I am concerned about the welfare of the child.

If anyone knows how I would go about finding families and also all the legal stuff that would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Aussie/NZ Fertility Clinics

Hi Phoebe Sorry, I'm new to this site too, but I believe that in working with a fertility clinic--as gestational surrogates (if not traditional surrogates) inevitably have to do in order to accomplish an embryo transfer--clients are safely (if painfully slowly!) led through the legal processes required as well as the medical ones. That's our experience here in New Zealand at least. Again, I'm not sure, but I believe (and in joining The Bub Hub I certainly hope!) that Australian and NZ fertility clinics are able (again albeit perhaps even more painfully slowly according to my counsellor here at Fertility Associates) to liaise with each other on these processes...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow!!! Phoeb! That is a marvelous thing that you want to do for someone! I was actually watching a show about surrogacy yesterday on TV. I am actually thinking that down the track I myself may have to go down the surrogacy path and I too live in Adelaide! I have Anti-thyroid antibodies with a fully functioning thyroid. Basically these antibodies attack my thyroid and also attack my egg and prevent it from attaching to the lining. It can also cause early miscarriage! I have been trying for 2 years and had a miscarriage. I just had my first round of IVF which failed I also have a low AMH and rheumatoid arthritis. We will try for a while with IVF and investigate possible medications that MAY help but apparently nothing lowers these antibodies. I am terrified of never becoming a mum...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    I have been thinking about it for a while as I would like to experience pregnancy but don't think I will have a baby via the normal process (I want to adopt from my dad's native - West Africa) but watching a show prompted me to look into this. I wonder if it's the same show? (Young Surrogates)
    That's a real shame but I'm sure you'll have luck one way or another. My aunt had real problems as she had cervical cancer and had to go through IVF. It wasn't a nice process (lots of injections) but eventually it stuck and she made my beautiful cousin! Keep your chin up.
    As my mum says: Being a mum is the best thing you'll ever do, but how you become a mum doesn't matter.

I don't really know much about Thyroid things but you'll become a mummy one way or another - make sure you make a diary of it so that one day you can share how you got there with you grown up baby and remember how amazing it was!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by phoebeann; 08-05-2013 at 16:00. Reason: forgot to add what show I saw!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll have a look into the fertility clinics, Thanks!

Adoption and surrogacy alike a apparently very difficult in Aus, so I'm a little bit hesitant to do it through a company.

My auntie and uncle adopted from China and it took about 8 years!

The Aus government is really strict because a lot of abuse happened in the early days I think...

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok you need to know more:
    Surrogacy in Australia is Altruistic - medical bills only..pregnancy clothes and medications to do with pregnancy.
    You need to have finished your own family and have had at least one successful pregnancy before being able to be a surrogate in Australia.
    There are no 'companies' who take care of surrogates and link them with IPs.
    You cannot advertise for IPs
    It generally takes about two years for the legal, mental and IVF processes to get done and ticked off.

Although this program was good it has a lot of people thinking surrogacy is a walk in the park.
    The Aust government is strict because it is a stickler for lots of red tape. Not because of abuse.
    If you think IVF process wasnt a nice process you are in for a shock with surrogacy...

Hate to burst your bubble but letting you know some hard facts about it here in Australia. Fantastic if you go through it all eventually after your own family

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is interesting Sophie! I am turning 33 years old so I wonder how long I should try ivf before looking into surrogacy. I have to find out how bad my antithyroid antibodies are and try to have any medications that may help but if that is no good I don't want to try for anything alternative and get too old to be a mum...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Shioz,

its ok, you still have time, my IM had her 50th Birthday the day of our embryo transfer Its been a long 15 year wait for their little one

Best of luck!

And Phoebean, I really hope I didnt put you off the idea!! I wasnt meaning to be mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I gave birth to our wonderful daughter (made possible by our wonderful egg donor!) at age 50. A very happy ending indeed! Only now with one remaining frozen embryo, we are again in a dilemma. Dare we hope for even more wonderful help in the form of a surrogate, and yet another miracle??? We just can't bear to simply discard this potential sibling for our daughter! Unfortunately I believe that in SA the embryo must have been conceived within the state. Does anyone know about this???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi phoebeann, we are looking for a surrogate if your willing to talk more email is at mtremaine04@hotmail.com regards Michael and Ben