+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    117
    Reviews
    0

    Default Bipolar

    Hello,
    my name is jess, i am married and have a 1 year old son I have just been diagnosed with bipolar, and prescribed Zoloft for now, and once my body adjusts I will be put on mood stabilisers as well. This is a real shock to me and I just want some support and or advice from people who also suffer with the illness. Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi. I have bipolar 2. My only advice is be careful with taking Zoloft. It's quite common that antidepressants can trigger highs in people with bipolar. This is what happened to me. You should consider seeing a psychiatrist and trying a mood stabilizer like Lithium or Seroquel.

    In any event, GP's aren't the best person to manage something like bipolar, they just don't have enough training and enough time at appointments to assess everything and give you a chance to talk about everything.

    Good luck!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

    kezanazz  (11-10-2013),loislane2010  (02-05-2013)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was right where you are about 6 months ago. Its so hard to hear that you have a mental illness. I was diagnosed 6 months ago and i think i actually blacked out when the doc said it. I am currently on Lexapro and lithium. I can say with great pleasure that these drugs work. I feel normal again and as hard as it been to accept this it has been the best thing ive ever done. I remember the person i was (it took me 4 years to finally admit i needed help) and i don't EVER want to be that person again. There are things i will never forgive myself for but everyday i get better. I enjoy life again, my kids and my husband. As my worst i could barely get out of bed and didnt know who the person in the mirror was. I would escape by getting out of the house and being someone else...the person everybody saw). It was the only way i could get through the day. 6 months on though and im still unable to say the words 'im bipolar' but im getting there. My advice to you would be to allow yourself at least 6 weeks for your body to show any real signs of improvement (from the meds) and accept that its going to take time to get used to the fact you have a mental illness. remember though, it IS an illness, just like diabetes...your brain is flawed (sorry if that sounds mean, i don't mean it to). There is nothing you can do to change the way your brain is, only manage it with meds. I cant tell you how long it will take to accept this, im still on the journey myself but i can tell you it does get better. You have taken the hardest step by admitting you need help. As for the waiting to get on mood stabilisers, i wouldn't wait, i started it all at once. If you ever want to pm me to get thoughts out, feel free. Please do get those thoughts out though, keeping them inside mays things 100x worse. Take care and remember your not alone

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, do you feel like Bipolar is an accurate diagnosis? Just curious because you said that you were quite surprised by it?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    117
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    OP, do you feel like Bipolar is an accurate diagnosis? Just curious because you said that you were quite surprised by it?
    Yes I do feel like it is accurate - I have a huge family history of it and all the symptoms lined up with how I am feeling - it's just very hard to hear the words "you have bipolar" especially growing up seeing it before me

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    117
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I was right where you are about 6 months ago. Its so hard to hear that you have a mental illness. I was diagnosed 6 months ago and i think i actually blacked out when the doc said it. I am currently on Lexapro and lithium. I can say with great pleasure that these drugs work. I feel normal again and as hard as it been to accept this it has been the best thing ive ever done. I remember the person i was (it took me 4 years to finally admit i needed help) and i don't EVER want to be that person again. There are things i will never forgive myself for but everyday i get better. I enjoy life again, my kids and my husband. As my worst i could barely get out of bed and didnt know who the person in the mirror was. I would escape by getting out of the house and being someone else...the person everybody saw). It was the only way i could get through the day. 6 months on though and im still unable to say the words 'im bipolar' but im getting there. My advice to you would be to allow yourself at least 6 weeks for your body to show any real signs of improvement (from the meds) and accept that its going to take time to get used to the fact you have a mental illness. remember though, it IS an illness, just like diabetes...your brain is flawed (sorry if that sounds mean, i don't mean it to). There is nothing you can do to change the way your brain is, only manage it with meds. I cant tell you how long it will take to accept this, im still on the journey myself but i can tell you it does get better. You have taken the hardest step by admitting you need help. As for the waiting to get on mood stabilisers, i wouldn't wait, i started it all at once. If you ever want to pm me to get thoughts out, feel free. Please do get those thoughts out though, keeping them inside mays things 100x worse. Take care and remember your not alone
    Thank you so much - I have heard so many horror stories of anti depressants and even my own mum tried to talk me out of taking them, even though it feels so right to start them. My psychologist has put me on the medication, alongside my GP, I have an appt with the GP next week, I will ask her to put me on the stabilisers as well.
    Have you had any weight gain? I am so worried about packing on weight on them

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I also wanted to mention depending upon ur circumstances and how you respond to medications not everyone has to stay on them all the time. I've been off all medications since September without relapse. I'm well aware my chances of relapse are over 90% and that its inevitable I will get depressed again however I am enjoying my life medication free atm and intend to keep it that way unless I feel some symptoms again. All that said I'm not saying u will b the same but its important to be open to things improving in the future otherwise the present can seem really scary.

    Seroquel and Zyprexa will almost guarantee you to put on weight. I put on 6 kilos in the first 8 days on Zyprexa. I then switched to seroquel after a month on Zyprexa. The weight continued to pile on although more gradually. I ended up gaining around 14kgs last year whilst being treated. Lithium has a better chance of you not gaining weight however it has other difficulties like having to take weekly blood tests in the beginning and then every month or so after that and some ppl get nausea and taste disturbances.
    I suggest you do some reading about the various drugs available for bipolar and not just take the first thing offered by your GP. I really feel strongly that a psychiatrist is the best person to dispense medications for these types of conditions. They do so much more training on the effects of these drugs and are abreast of the latest treatments. I just wouldn't trust a GP with much more than depression.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JesskaMay View Post
    Thank you so much - I have heard so many horror stories of anti depressants and even my own mum tried to talk me out of taking them, even though it feels so right to start them. My psychologist has put me on the medication, alongside my GP, I have an appt with the GP next week, I will ask her to put me on the stabilisers as well.
    Have you had any weight gain? I am so worried about packing on weight on them
    I have gained a bit of weight, but it may be because I haven't been as active and because ive been feeling better I enjoy cooking/baking again. Yes though, I have to admit I have gained some weight. To be honest though, I would rather feel happy/normal and be a little overweight than be how I was before. For me, its a small price to pay. I am aware of what I am eating and aware that I do need to be active but at this particular point in time im more focused on getting to know my emotions, triggers and moods again. Everything has changed and im learning what my mood swings are like and what they mean and what my triggers are. If I have a couple of bad nights sleep you can pretty much guarantee ill go down. I know this is going to happen so I prepare myself for it and organise my kids house etc because I know im going to have at least a couple of days where I have no motivation etc. Its hard some days, ill look in the mirror and think...wow I have put n weight. But then I remind how I have felt and acted (towards myself, kids and husband) and I think... Meh, its all good.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    117
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cats1pug View Post
    Oh I also wanted to mention depending upon ur circumstances and how you respond to medications not everyone has to stay on them all the time. I've been off all medications since September without relapse. I'm well aware my chances of relapse are over 90% and that its inevitable I will get depressed again however I am enjoying my life medication free atm and intend to keep it that way unless I feel some symptoms again. All that said I'm not saying u will b the same but its important to be open to things improving in the future otherwise the present can seem really scary.

    Seroquel and Zyprexa will almost guarantee you to put on weight. I put on 6 kilos in the first 8 days on Zyprexa. I then switched to seroquel after a month on Zyprexa. The weight continued to pile on although more gradually. I ended up gaining around 14kgs last year whilst being treated. Lithium has a better chance of you not gaining weight however it has other difficulties like having to take weekly blood tests in the beginning and then every month or so after that and some ppl get nausea and taste disturbances.
    I suggest you do some reading about the various drugs available for bipolar and not just take the first thing offered by your GP. I really feel strongly that a psychiatrist is the best person to dispense medications for these types of conditions. They do so much more training on the effects of these drugs and are abreast of the latest treatments. I just wouldn't trust a GP with much more than depression.
    I have booked in to see a psychiatrist - as my husband and I are going to be TTC again in the next 6 months and my GP said to me "don't worry, the Zoloft is fine to take whilst you are pregnant, but after birth your baby may need to go to NICU to be weaned off" ummm wtf?!
    That is definitely not happening!
    So I booked in to see him because I have heard so many bad things about Zoloft and want to be on good medication that is ok to take whilst pregnant that will not effect my child, and also I want to go on the mood stabilisers now, not later.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    117
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I have gained a bit of weight, but it may be because I haven't been as active and because ive been feeling better I enjoy cooking/baking again. Yes though, I have to admit I have gained some weight. To be honest though, I would rather feel happy/normal and be a little overweight than be how I was before. For me, its a small price to pay. I am aware of what I am eating and aware that I do need to be active but at this particular point in time im more focused on getting to know my emotions, triggers and moods again. Everything has changed and im learning what my mood swings are like and what they mean and what my triggers are. If I have a couple of bad nights sleep you can pretty much guarantee ill go down. I know this is going to happen so I prepare myself for it and organise my kids house etc because I know im going to have at least a couple of days where I have no motivation etc. Its hard some days, ill look in the mirror and think...wow I have put n weight. But then I remind how I have felt and acted (towards myself, kids and husband) and I think... Meh, its all good.
    My mental health is way more important to me than my image - but I've always been a very slim person and I am worried that putting on weight will make me worse


 

Similar Threads

  1. Bipolar Disorder
    By fichicken in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 14:31
  2. Is God bipolar?
    By JohnC in forum Religion / Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-12-2012, 17:44
  3. Son with bipolar
    By YMo7 in forum General Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-11-2012, 11:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!