+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Terribly constipated.

Lil man (12 mths) is terribly constipated. This is the 2nd time now that it's been bad. I stopped BF @ 7 mths and put him on karicare imunocare as that's what my daughter had with no problems. Then when he got constipated we put him on novolac constipation which helped a little bit but I don't really want to pay $27 a tin. So now he's on NAN HA toddler which is much nicer to drink and he seems to like it.
    Anyway this is day 5 or 6 of constipation. Mch have said to give him 6ml of undiluted prune juice twice a day and parachoc (paraffin oil) approx 15ml once a day. We've also started a quality dose of probiotics once a day. All this we started 3 days ago.
    So....how long should this take to work? The last 3 nights he's been in a lot of pain and very grizzly. Constantly trying to push poo out with no result is horrible to watch.
    What do I do now?
    He drinks loads of water, is just starting to eat fruit and has weetbix with water every morning.
    Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd probably stop the weetbix for now as it can make things worse I found. DD eats lots of nice ripe pears as well as fresh pear juice I make & that's always sorted her out. The only time it didn't we used coloxyl which was helpful. DD eats prunes or plums daily too & they help keep everything moving.
    She is breastfed so not sure about formula choices but could it be a result of several changes in a short span? Sorry, I don't know, I've no experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used coloxyl and he hated it. Won't eat pears and turns his nose up at the juice. I'll stop weetbix but what else should I give him for brekkie? He loves porridge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Might be good to get him checked for dairy or wheat intolerance just in case - definitely hold off the wheatbix for a while to see if it makes a difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Eggs are a great breakfast - make an omelette/pancake with some tomato and herbs and cut into fingers to feed himself - or a boiled egg with gluten free toast

Gluten free breads for toast or rice cakes with avocado or nut butters

Gluten free cereals or rice cereal with almond milk ( freedom foods have good ones for kids!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    DS1 use to end up very constipated as a baby. The doctor recommended massaging just below his belly button and cycling his legs into his belly like you do when they have wind, along with all the usual coloxyl and juice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes suppositories were my bubs saviour when it got that bad. I know its gross but its better than them getting a fissure from it being so hard it tears them had that with my dd.
    Also a fish oil supplement will help it slide out easier, ask a naturopath for dosages. And just make sure theyre not getting dehydrated if theyre on solids, ie lots of water or hydralyte to begin with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Prunes are good if you can get them in. Katelyn (who's 1) I just mash up a few for her, or blend them in water and give it in a cup.

Jasper (who's 4) has a "poo smoothy" which is prunes, Coco powder and milk smoothy. Works a charm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Gave lil man a prune today to see if he even liked it and he LOVED it! So I'm adding it to my list of regular foods if this constipation issue is going to hang around. He decided this week that he loves scrambled egg so ill offer that for brekkie a couple times a week.
    .... But today, still no poo worth jumping up and down about....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll second the glycerin suppositories. You can buy them over the counter at chemist and I use a little ky (and gloves) to gently pop them up the bottom - they usually take 30-60 minutes to work and have saved ds from painful tummy and poo quite a few times. I also give him daily prune and pear juice mixed. Some people find brown sugar in water helps but my bub wouldn't touch it. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app