+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've realised since having DS that behaviour I've found really precocious and obnoxious in other peoples kids, is super cute when DS does it (disclaimer - I do actually understand that nobody else finds this cute except myself, DH and grandparents).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    LOL, when i saw you both posted in here I was like 'ooooh, awkward!'
    Hah, I've come to grips with knowing my son isn't the most likeable child for others at this stage of his life, as long as I love him heaps, I don't mind if other's dont.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Because when they are your kids, you can teach them/force them not to do all the things that annoy you... You just have to put up with it when it's other people's kids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

rarawood  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't say I don't like other people's children, but I don't have tolerance with them like I do with my own. If he is throwing. Tantrum, or being a pain, I can deal with it. If its someone else's child it just annoys me. I tend to not hold other people's babies in case they cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never maternal. I never wanted to hold babies, and kids never really appealed.

However, when I thought of the future with no kids, then that felt sad. I have a great relationship with my parents, and wanted that family connection with my own kids in the future too.

I reached 30 and thought we should start trying before it was too late.

When DD came along, I fell in love with her. Through meeting other parents, and through DD changing my life, my attitude toward kids and babies changed.

Other babies and kids make me think of DD now, and the love that I have for her. My world view has shifted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had sex and fell pregnant and at the time was staunchly anti-abortion... so there really was no real choice but to have the baby and become a mother.

I don't like other people's kids MOST of the time... mostly because I think a lot of other parents don't parent like I do and are more "Hey, I'm cool to let my kid destroy the joint and scream high-pitched and generally make everyone wish it didn't exist..." whereas I'm not like that and have strict rules I expect my child to adhere to in order to not annoy others.

I generally don't like people much though. Children are often the noisiest, most inconsiderate and most irritating versions of people though... it's not their fault, cos they're only kids... but it still makes it hard to like them. lol.

I can also tell my own child to bugger off, to stop being annoying, to leave me alone, to go to her room and be noisy and annoying there instead of around me (not in those exact words... lol). I can't really do that to other people's kids... I just have to wait and hope their parents say something. They don't often (or they do, but they never follow through and the kid just ignores them and continues to be a pain).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Jakeysmummy90  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I was never maternal, babies and kids scared me tbh. I'd never even held a newborn until I had my DD and though it sounds absolutely awful, I really didn't love her until she was about 6 months old. As she grew though, I fell totally in love with her and I've had two more children since. I'd actually love another but that's not possible.

As the kids have grown, I've actually realised how much I like kids - I love being parent helper at school and chatting to the kids etc.. I'm very tempted to become an aid at the school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand why I need to like other peoples kids to have my own.
    Sometimes other people's kids smell funny...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-05-2013),Lauzy83  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like kids, but I'm not all over them like i used to be. Ok this is going to sound so awful but ..... I liked other people's kids a lot more prior to having my own.
    Maybe because my toddler has me exhausted, I don't have a lot of energy to goo and gaa over other kids' actions. Or maybe it's because my own kids are so fricken awesome that other kids don't impress me HAHAHA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it a bit odd that someone could say 'I don't like (other people's) kids'... It's like saying 'I don't like old people' or 'I don't like adults'. Kids are individuals as much as the rest if us...

I didn't have a lot to do with kids before DS. I never spent much time with them apart from my cousins kids who I spent a fair bit if time with and who I found sweet, beautiful and interesting in their own right.

I had DS because I started to have a strong maternal drive after about age 30.... I can't explain where that drive came from apart from biology. It had nothing to do with how I feel about other children in general.