+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it possible to have a d&e at 28 weeks after intrauterine loss?

Hi ladies..
    My SIL has just lost her baby at 28 weeks..she isn't wanting to birth and was told today a d&e is possible as baby is quite small and passed a few weeks ago.

Just wondering if this has happened or anyone has had similar experience?

Thanks

mama ~ wifey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sorry to hear this.

I wouldn't have thought a d&c is possible... I lost my daughter at 19 1/2 weeks and she measured about 17 weeks and I was induced and gave birth. They never even gave a d&c as an option but I wouldn't have chose as I would have been worried about the damage it would have caused her little body.

Induction and birth is the safest way to ensure your body and uterus is not damaged for another pregnancy (a c-section damages the uterus), if this is her first baby the drs usually want to minimize the damage as much as possible to ensure her next pregnancy can go as smooth as possible.

I'm fairly certain a d&c would damage the baby so much that she wouldn't be able to hold him. Has she thought about that? It is scary to hold them but I know I would have regretted it if I didn't and I am so grateful I was able to hold and kiss my daughter and see she looked like her daddy.

The idea of labor and birthing your baby that has passed is really scary but you get amazed at how strong you can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, and I am truly sorry for your losses as well.

She doesn't want to see/hold the baby, and she's quite adamant about not birthing it as she feels that it would make a hard situation worse. She is no longer with the baby's father and thinks this is a sign it wasn't all meant to be. (He was emotionally anusive, controlling and they had a very stressful and dysfunctional/destructive relationship).

mama ~ wifey

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm assuming she has, but has she spoken to a counsellor or the hospital social worker? I really recommend she does before she makes this decision as I'd hate her to feel guilt or regret in the days/weeks/months to come as a lot of us are haunted by guilt for various reasons already (just comes with the package of loosing a baby).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely agree Whoknows! And support if somebody genuinely knows the don't want to see their baby but I worry about it being a knee jerk reaction from the fear of it all and would hate the regret and possible guilt added to the intense pain and grief we're already going through.

Our social worker was amazing to us and so was our hospital, they were so helpful through the whole process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I've now learned there's a difference between a d&c and d&e.

From what I've learned she can have a d&e but my thoughts on damage and if she would want to hold him are still valid.

I hope she's ok and has spoken to somebody about all her options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry for her loss. I lost my baby at 15 weeks & I was induced (tablets in cervix) and delivered. I know the fear as I was terrified of delivery & would have preferred to be under anaesthetic when the baby came out. My ob was against it due to the damage it can cause. I was also against seeing my baby until I had delivered & something told me I needed to & it was part of the process. My husband was dead set against seeing the baby but also immediately changed his mind afterwards. Best wishes for her.