+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Driving - overcoming fear

Just to make it clear from the start - I do have my drivers licence.

However, I have a pretty intense driving phobia and currently don't drive much - and definitely never alone.

My psych has got me to create an ultimate driving goal & then make a list of all the tiny steps it will take for me to get there.

However, I am currently unable to practice with DH because he works back until 8.30/9pm every night at the moment. There is no-one else I can practice with so if I want to ever drive it seems I'll have to practice alone.

Just wanting some tips as to where to start - I have major spatial awareness issues when driving (knowing the dimensions of the car etc) which makes it hard to even drive into or out of the driveway due to having a car-port (can't tell if I'm going to hit the posts etc).

I've been told that I should have someone stand there so I can learn the distance but obviously that won't work now that I have to practice alone.

Also, how can I stay calm? I haven't driven alone for years & even the thought of it makes me extremely anxious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If finances permit could you do a few refresher driving lessons. It's quite common for people who have had a break from driving to do so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have tried that option, Carpe diem, but it doesn't work for me. I've tried three times - three different companies & three different instructors and they've all gone 'oh, you have your licence. Why are you here?' at the start and it makes me feel stupid and pathetic. Then we go for a drive and they either say 'you know how to drive, I don't see what the problem is' or they say 'jeez, you are nervous aren't you?' & don't give me any tips to overcome it.