+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone seen the 2011 doc 'bully'?

Just watched this and was wondering who else has watched it and what are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess no-one then...well IMO I think this doco needs to be shown in all schools. Only just last thursday we buried a 14yo who hanged himself in the school toilets because of bullying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've wanted to see this. I saw another one called Bully which was a bit older and a tad exploitative but keen to see this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watched it a few months ago and it broke my heart . Those poor kids . I really felt sorry for the little boy ( I can't remember his name ) but he was the one catching the bus and being bullied .
    I definitly think it should be shown in schools and i will be showing it to my children when they are older. It really made me wonder what the parents of the bullies thought if they watched it. I would be devestated if my child was behaving like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ashram....I agree! , his name is Alex and I too feel sorry for him. I honestly think if those bullies knew that he was born premmie, that he nearly died, that his parents were soooo happy that he survived then things would have been different.
    My eldest son (14) has always stuck up for kids who are being bullied (all of them have mental/medical problems)....and I do believe if these things were out in the open rather than kept secret...other kids may not pick on them and understand a bit more and be more compassionate. It really makes me mad at the ignorance out there. I was not impressed with the descussion between Alex's parents and the principle...I thought the principle was very heartless...but the dep principle sure did the right thing and get all those kids in induvidually and talk to them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was soooo surprised by how dismissive the principle was . My girls are little so maybe I just havnt had any exposure but I thought the bullying was horrendous and deserved a much more serious response.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also it's so good you have obviously raised a beautiful compassionate boy who you should be very proud of. I really hope my girls are kind and stand up for anybody being bullied.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was soooo surprised by how dismissive the principle was .
    This was the turning point for me when I watched this. I was so angry at her.
    What hope have our children got when you have idiots like this running schools?
    I was gobsmacked and for a moment there wondered whether I was being set up, her actions were just so incompetent it was mind boggling. I thought, there's no way this woman can be a teacher let alone a principal!

Overall, I found this doco to be very upsetting and it brought me to tears and left me feeling pretty down about society.
    Does anyone know what happened to the main characters? I would like to think that they are alive and happy somewhere.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I haven't seen it, but have seen the previews.

In regards to this bit:

I honestly think if those bullies knew that he was born premmie, that he nearly died, that his parents were soooo happy that he survived then things would have been different.
    I actually don't think it would change many teenager's actions. Even the nicest of teens is at least a little self-centred, and the bullied ones are usually completely self-centred and I honestly don't think they would give 2 craps regardless of any info provided.

I obviously agree that bullying is horrible and wrong - but I really wish there was a way of telling teens, and actually having them understand - that school is only a very small part of your life, and it ends. Some people will still go on to be bullied, sure, but it's not usually like it is in school. I wish there was a way to say to kids who are suicidal due to bullying, "This will end... this is not how life will always be."

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually don't think it would change many teenager's actions.
    Agreed. If anything, it fuels them. They love something they perceive as weak so as to exploit it.