+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm having a c-section in 2 weeks and the comments I have copped so far make me want to slap some of these stupid and idiotic people out there IRL.

I had a lady at the pharmacy tell me I was "silly" for missing out on the birthing experience. What business is it of hers? What right does she have to call me silly? I also had a sonographer say to me that its "crazy" how c-sections are allowed as electives.

Let me tell you that not one person who's made a negative comment has bothered to find out WHY I'm having a c-section. For all they know, I can't birth vaginally but yet they feel they have the right to judge my choice in how I birth MY baby!!

Personally, what I find "silly " and "crazy" is the ignorance surrounding elective c-sections.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (01-05-2013),lambjam  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Does it really matter if the women in the group have or hadnt? I dont get why it was brought up in the first place?
    C Sections can be quite tramatic for women, so unless they mention it first, its never brought up in my convos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I'm having a c-section in 2 weeks and the comments I have copped so far make me want to slap some of these stupid and idiotic people out there IRL.

I had a lady at the pharmacy tell me I was "silly" for missing out on the birthing experience. What business is it of hers? What right does she have to call me silly? I also had a sonographer say to me that its "crazy" how c-sections are allowed as electives.

Let me tell you that not one person who's made a negative comment has bothered to find out WHY I'm having a c-section. For all they know, I can't birth vaginally but yet they feel they have the right to judge my choice in how I birth MY baby!!

Personally, what I find "silly " and "crazy" is the ignorance surrounding elective c-sections.

People just love to comment on things that are none of the their business don't they? When I announced I was pregnant at work I had three seperate people ask "was it planned". Um, not that it's any of your business, but yes?! So strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Have you had any negative comments from people IRL about your c-section though? I have and although I was happy with how my DD was born, it still annoys me. I have had comments like "you're missing out on a real birth experience by having a c-section" or "oh, you had a c-section, that's not really the same".

So yeah I think people are sensitive, but other people can also be a$$holes when it comes to it too. I get a little defensive now because I get sick of basically being told my birth wasn't as special as someone who had an all natural birth. It does my head in.

Just trying to explain why some people are sensitive, don't know if I made much sense haha
    Yes I have had the few " don't you want to exp birth " etc comments .. But I have no issue with how people get their baby out .. So to me it's just conversation .. People can be stupid in all aspects of life with what they say ..Birth and babies it increases I feel !!
    I guess also because I never wanted to push anything out of my vagina .. I feel fine with a c sec ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    People just love to comment on things that are none of the their business don't they? When I announced I was pregnant at work I had three seperate people ask "was it planned". Um, not that it's any of your business, but yes?! So strange.
    Weird!! Who asks that??? I would never think to ask "was it planned?" Omg!! Some people are just ... weird!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it was insensitive of her to frame it that way.

A c-section can be a very positive and wanted experience. For many it is their first choice for birth, so to say 'great' if you haven't had one is a little strange - especially in her line of work.

Many women who've had c-sections are on the receiving end of a lot of negativity and nonsense about them, and therefore it's understandable that some may feel defensive or sensitive about it too. As a midwife, she should have known that.

It would be a bit like her saying "Who here gave their baby any formula?" (show of hands) "Oh NO!!!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The same question was asked in the first week of my mothers group too but there was no follow up comment. I was the only one to have had an elective csection and my birth story was the most positive

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a bit insensitive especially as it wasn't your choice. I was booked into a c section for my first as my daughter was breech. When I went in for the op they are supposed to check via ultrasound to see if the baby had turned on its own they never checked me ( even though they kept saying they were going to) and when they cut me open they found she had turned right way around on her own they should never hav given me a c section. I have felt a bit robbed ever since so I know how you feel. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    The same question was asked in the first week of my mothers group too but there was no follow up comment. I was the only one to have had an elective csection and my birth story was the most positive
    i've had a vaginal birth and a c-section, and the truth is that for me the c-section was 10x more positive. I'm going back for another for this baby (unless I change my mind at the 11th hour!) because I choose to.

I think there is a whole mythology now around the beauty and wonder of childbirth as a right of passage or transformative process that makes women feel they have failed, when the beauty of the experience is witnessing your baby enter the world (just as beautiful a moment in a theatre).

I am fortunate that I haven't tended to get any negative comments about having a section so I'm not in the least bit sensitive about it. I can understand if I had, though, a comment like that (whilst probably innocently intended) might rub a raw nerve. Rather like expressing delight if 9 out of 10 were breast feeding...it would make the other woman feel not so great.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanicecream View Post
    Rather like expressing delight if 9 out of 10 were breast feeding...it would make the other woman feel not so great.
    Exactly. Those of you who don't see cause for offense, imagine if she'd said "Oh only 2, well that is so great because we know the formula feeding rates can be much higher."

Or "Oh only 2, well that is so great because we know the single mother rates can be much higher."

I could go on

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (01-05-2013),beebs  (01-05-2013),Guest654  (01-05-2013)