This is all brand new... | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default This is all brand new...

Hi all.

I'm a bit nervous to write my first post but here goes nothing.

My partner and I have been together for 6 and a half years and have decided we'd like to start trying for babies soon.

We're both in our mid-late 20's and feel we've experienced a full and fun life and this would be our next big adventure.

We're looking in to home insemination (either with a known donor found online or someone a bit closer to home) or we are looking at IUI to start with a clinic in Brisbane.

Obviously there are so many pro's and con's in both approaches and there are just so many stories and opinions out there it's hard to know which road to take.

We know we possibly have a very long and emotional road ahead of us, So I guess really I'm starting this by saying hi and hoping if there's anyone out there please say hello and offer any tips or advice.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies. My partner and I did a home insemination with great success. Our little girl is 7 weeks old. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CentralCoastMumsToBe For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there...and welcome to the journey!
    My partner and I were in your exact situation a couple of years ago. We thought we wanted IUI. And went and saw dr Malloy at QFG. he explained to us that success rates are around 13% for IUI...and greater than 50% for IVF.
    We used anon sperm, of which they have a lot of choice, and have now had two successful pregnancies. After all costs we calculated, we went to Medicare and got over half back. Then you get more back at tax time.
    out of pocket..around $2500 per cycle.
    We wanted to go anon sperm so that there was only two parents..but that will be something you will have to decide...
    good luck.
    ps...the clinic were lovely. Ring the Brisbane clinic and talk to Julie the nurse consultant...really nice. Dr Malloy is the best..and he treats u like a hetro couple for Medicare purposes .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nayez2000 For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayez2000 View Post
    Hi there...and welcome to the journey!
    My partner and I were in your exact situation a couple of years ago. We thought we wanted IUI. And went and saw dr Malloy at QFG. he explained to us that success rates are around 13% for IUI...and greater than 50% for IVF.
    We used anon sperm, of which they have a lot of choice, and have now had two successful pregnancies. After all costs we calculated, we went to Medicare and got over half back. Then you get more back at tax time.
    out of pocket..around $2500 per cycle.
    We wanted to go anon sperm so that there was only two parents..but that will be something you will have to decide...
    good luck.
    ps...the clinic were lovely. Ring the Brisbane clinic and talk to Julie the nurse consultant...really nice. Dr Malloy is the best..and he treats u like a hetro couple for Medicare purposes .
    Thank you so much for your reply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello twomummas,
    My partner and I are in the same age bracket and have been together for five years... We had that same feeling too, ie; had our fun with being together just us two and now we are wanting to start our family also. We used a donor from xytex through fertility first in sydney. We both went through the ivf process and we now have heaps on little embies on ice with the same donor. Please feel free to private message me if you want to chat about logistics/costs etc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stuffnthings For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi twomummas,
    Welcome to bubhub and hope your journey is a quick one!
    We are also in Brisbane and we have just started with qfg. We are seeing Dr Jacobson at southbank and he is amazing! So accepting of same sex couples.
    We tried at home insemination with a known donor but had donors back out of helping as they don't always realise it may not happen the first time! We decided to be done with all the heartbreak and hassle of finding donors so booked an appt with qfg.
    We will be doing IUI with a USA donor. Our costs include:
    $950 for sperm
    $1280 doctor fees with $475 back from Medicare
    $525 qfg registration fee
    Our original appt was $230 and ultrasound $90 but the doctor gave us 20% discount so paid $256 all up with $100 ish back from Medicare. We will be doing ovulation induction cycle (clomid for 5 days then trigger shot) so not sure on costs of meds yet
    There are other ultrasounds but sometimes the doctor doesn't charge or discounts.
    There is also a blood test for AMH and that one costs $70

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks KnockKnockPenny!

We're very much swayed to using a clinic at the moment (seems less complicated) and seeing as we're Queenslanders your info about QFG has been very helpful.

I've started emailing back and forth with them and we will most likely be looking to book our initial consult in about a month. Thank you for mentioning your doctor because there's so many to choose from we have no idea. Were you recommended him from someone else or was he just the first available?

From your initial consult what is the time frame they've given you? With tests and things is it 3 months, 6 months etc before your first IUI attempt? I'm so eager I know when we start our appointments I'll just want to do it asap because I'll be so excited.

You said $950 for sperm.. Is that just for one attempt?

And what was that original ultrasound for?

Sorry for all the questions but its so great to be able to ask someone going through it right now.

Thank you to everyone else who has said hello as well. I'm using the Bub Hub app on my phone so can't figure out how to reply directly to you all.

Ok Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twomummas View Post
    Thanks KnockKnockPenny!

We're very much swayed to using a clinic at the moment (seems less complicated) and seeing as we're Queenslanders your info about QFG has been very helpful.

I've started emailing back and forth with them and we will most likely be looking to book our initial consult in about a month. Thank you for mentioning your doctor because there's so many to choose from we have no idea. Were you recommended him from someone else or was he just the first available?

From your initial consult what is the time frame they've given you? With tests and things is it 3 months, 6 months etc before your first IUI attempt? I'm so eager I know when we start our appointments I'll just want to do it asap because I'll be so excited.

You said $950 for sperm.. Is that just for one attempt?

And what was that original ultrasound for?

Sorry for all the questions but its so great to be able to ask someone going through it right now.

Thank you to everyone else who has said hello as well. I'm using the Bub Hub app on my phone so can't figure out how to reply directly to you all.

Ok Thanks again!
    Hey :-)

With our doctor, I was speaking with the nurses at qfg about who we could use and I said recommend me someone who is open minded about same sex relationships, she recommended this guy so we booked with him. Then when we got the referral from the gp, he mentioned that he had referred heaps of people to this doctor and that he had been told he was really good.
    I call to make an appointment and got the next Thursday. Because DP was at the very end of a cycle he is doing this one as a tracking cycle and we start the following cycle, so we should be able to inseminate in early July :-)
    Yeah it's $950 per vial of sperm which is only 1 attempt! So expensive!
    The ultrasounds in his office at the first appt were just to get a look at the uterus and ovaries and make sure everything was okay with them. There will be at least another 1 before insem to check follicle growth and everything before ovulation and insem

We are so much more excited now than when we were using a donor.
    I really don't mind questions so feel free :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Stuffnthings - I sent you a pm as we will be using the same clinic. Out first appointment is this week and I would love to know what you can share. We both want to use same donor so hoping that I can go through the process at the same time even though she will be carrying first. I'm not sure if my pm worked cos there is nothing in my sent box let me know if you got it? Hi to everyone else too!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowbabe For This Useful Post:

stuffnthings  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All
    My partner (30) and I (34) are new to BH, we have been on the roller coaster of TTC since October last year. We are from Adelaide and luckily as I have PCOS a dx fertility issue we are able to access a fertility clinic here in Adelaide. We tried IUI with clomid and triggers twice (Dec 2012 & Feb 3013) with no luck and have decided to move on to IVF to hopefully give us a greater chance. We were hoping to have our first round next month, but my body doesn't seem to be on the same page as us......I had a provera induced AF at CD 68 the plan was to start provera again on day 22 to have a semi normal cycle and then start IVF, well I didn't get to day 22 I started AF on day 15 very odd for me so we are once again delayed and waiting very frustrating I can tell you. It would be great to chat and share with others in a similar situation....