+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Newcastle/Maitland are mummies I need advice.

Hey all.

DF & I are wanting to move to the Newcastle/Maitland area. We want to be closer to the JHH now we are pregnant again as the treatment there was so phenomenal I could not fathom ever returning to my local hospital to give birth ever again. Another main reason is for work. DF is having trouble finding work after he has been let off, and with a baby on the way we definitely need to get some good income.

So my questions, sorry I ramble on!

I would like to know the safest suburbs, but won't be able to afford thousands in rent a month, I am thinking up to $300/week for now. I guess it depends on what work DF can find.
    What suburbs should we definitely avoid? We want to be within 30-40 max mins from Newcastle itself, so any towns around the area would be good.
    Any other relevant information would be great, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $300 a week won't get you much unfortunately, especially if you are wanting to live in a good area. Even Windale is $300+ a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    $300 a week won't get you much unfortunately, especially if you are wanting to live in a good area. Even Windale is $300+ a week.
    Damn, that's what I was worried about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you looked at the Central Coast? It seems to be slightly cheaper.

ETA I grew up in Cessnock and around Newcastle and DF and I were looking at moving back a few months ago but it would have meant him giving up his job in the mines and it would then be too expensive.

My Dad and sisters still live there and are struggling to get work at the moment (teachers) but not sure what other industries are like.
    Last edited by MrsOhara; 30-04-2013 at 21:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could find a house in East Maitland/Tenambit area for just over $300 a week, maybe $300 if you are lucky, they are both fairly good areas. Other areas around there are Thornton, Beresfield, Woodberry and Metford, I would say be cautious in some parts of these areas but I do know people that live there and don't have any issues. You need to visit and check out the neighbourhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Newcastle is very expensive. We live in a mediocre suburb and it's still $350 for a small three bedroom. We mostly own ours, but that's what next door is paying. There are suburbs to avoid. The better suburbs are found the east side of the JHH. If you only need an apartment it may be cheaper. It also depends on where you will be working. Maitland and surrounding suburbs are cheaper, but they are a 25-30min trip from outskirts of Newy. Traffic can sometimes make this 45min. Perhaps when you decide on a rough area, then ask people about specific suburbs. Even sections of suburbs can be different - it's ridiculous!