+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is still on Zantac. I give syringe at back of throat over tongue so it basically goes back down. Max of half ml at a time or he spits it out. I rub his throat to make him swallow.

If you can make him laugh or cry he will swallow

Hth

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Pesca, I just remembered a couple of other tips that helped us. Gosh, reflux is such a sucker.

Boosting up the cot/bassinet at the head end with a couple of phone books helps a lot - so the head of the cot is 4 inches or so above the feet. They do this in the NICU/SCN to use 'gravity assist' to keep feeds down. Those rockers for bubs that are a bit like the old bouncinettes, but with a rocker-rail base and a little padded bed are fab for reflux babies to sleep in - as a newbie, DS spent most of his sleep-time in one. PM me if you'd like ours - I just got it back from a family I loaned it to, and I could post it to you.

Also we found the best bottles and teats for combined bf/bottle feeding to be the Medela Calma. They are expensive, but well worth it. Despite what the other companies say about their teats being made to mimic the breast, Medela are the only company that has managed to actually get close, with the Calma's double-valve system, very long teat, and the positive sucking motion required by bub to get the milk flowing. They are excellent for fluxy bubs.

An upright feeding pos, with bubs sitting with both their legs between yours, with their bum on your left leg (if you are feeding with your right hand) and their head resting in the crook of your left elbow - this was the best feeding pos we found, that is different from bf pos. I ended up having to bf with bubs sitting over one knee in the 'horsey-ride' pos, facing me and totally upright. He couldn't feed unless he was literally vertical without screaming his head off.

What is CPMI? The abbreviation is eluding me at the moment

Hope you are having more success today. I felt like a monster trying to get the meds into him, but I just tried to focus on the end result and that he really needed them. Even if the effectiveness of the meds is slightly reduced by mixing it with whatever in order to get it into bubs, it's better than not being able to get it into them at all. Some will have more effect than none.

Good luck, Pesca. I hope it resolves itself soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hi Pesca, I just remembered a couple of other tips that helped us. Gosh, reflux is such a sucker.

Boosting up the cot/bassinet at the head end with a couple of phone books helps a lot - so the head of the cot is 4 inches or so above the feet. They do this in the NICU/SCN to use 'gravity assist' to keep feeds down. Those rockers for bubs that are a bit like the old bouncinettes, but with a rocker-rail base and a little padded bed are fab for reflux babies to sleep in - as a newbie, DS spent most of his sleep-time in one. PM me if you'd like ours - I just got it back from a family I loaned it to, and I could post it to you.

Also we found the best bottles and teats for combined bf/bottle feeding to be the Medela Calma. They are expensive, but well worth it. Despite what the other companies say about their teats being made to mimic the breast, Medela are the only company that has managed to actually get close, with the Calma's double-valve system, very long teat, and the positive sucking motion required by bub to get the milk flowing. They are excellent for fluxy bubs.

An upright feeding pos, with bubs sitting with both their legs between yours, with their bum on your left leg (if you are feeding with your right hand) and their head resting in the crook of your left elbow - this was the best feeding pos we found, that is different from bf pos. I ended up having to bf with bubs sitting over one knee in the 'horsey-ride' pos, facing me and totally upright. He couldn't feed unless he was literally vertical without screaming his head off.

What is CPMI? The abbreviation is eluding me at the moment

Hope you are having more success today. I felt like a monster trying to get the meds into him, but I just tried to focus on the end result and that he really needed them. Even if the effectiveness of the meds is slightly reduced by mixing it with whatever in order to get it into bubs, it's better than not being able to get it into them at all. Some will have more effect than none.

Good luck, Pesca. I hope it resolves itself soon.
    Thanks a million for your detailed response! I'll remember those feeding positions.

I think I may be making our mornings worse by feeding In bed overnight. each morning he chucks a lot so I think I'm better getting up during the night?

CMPI is cows milk protein intolerance and looks more and more like DS has this too

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only just saw this post Pesca, I really feel for you. DS1 had pretty nasty reflux and it was so horrible seeing him in pain like that .

The only tip I have is that we tried losec, gaviscon and zantac and he hated ALL of them. In the end we settled on Infants Friend from the chemist. I have yet to meet a baby that doesn't like the taste of that stuff. I'm sure they're out there, but off all my friends babies (and my own two) they've all gulped it down the second it hit their tongue because it tastes nice

I'm the first to admit that the effects don't seem to last as long as gaviscon et. al. but perhaps it's worth a try to get him used to using a dropper? We bought a glass dropper from the chemist rather than a syringe because the tip is smooth and if you run it under warm water it's not as unsual and not as foreign feeling as a syringe iykwim. Not sure if you've tried one of those yet but maybe it might work.
    Reflux is absolutely monster to deal with, I hope you find out what's causing the discomfort soon.