+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Getting meds in to a newborn - HELP!

DS2 is 8wks today (where did that go?!) and I've got medication he needs to take for reflux.

My problem is he won't take it! On the occasion that I get it in, he just spits or vomits it back up. Every time.

I've tried using a syringe in to the side of mouth, avoiding the tongue. I've tried mixing with EBM, he brought it all back up. I've tried butterscotch flavour (made up at compound chemist) and no go.

I need tips please! He's supposed to have this twice a day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What is it? Is it Zantac liquid? Have you tasted it? It is foul. My ds's paed recommended effervescent zantac mixed with a small amt of water (can't recall the quantities unfortunately ... I think it was 150mg tablet & 25ml cooled boiled water, but I'd speak to the paed or chemist) and then I had to give my ds 8ml 3 times a day. He recommended 25ml of EBM (at least) with each dose of 8ml and it was to be given at the start of the feed when he was starving. I hated expressing after a while and eventually he took it happily from a bottle without the EBM.

Is the EBM warm? Is he starving when you give it? The syringe on the side of the mouth usually works, but it's hard and you might need someone to hold him while you squirt perhaps. There are also little medicine dummies that have a little space in them to put liquid medication for the bub to suck out, but it doesn't sound like that would work for your bub right now.

We had issues with my ds refusing a bottle from 5 months yet he needed his reflux med's and it was a battle, but we just got in what we could and something is definitely better than nothing, so persist and you'll find something that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh pesca... I've been down this road. I tried everything you have done. Here's a few things that worked for me..
    The squirt to the side like you've done but then I close her mouth and blow in her face. She doesn't like it much but it works.
    You can also buy a dummy medicine dispenser...alternatively I just squirt the medicine into a teat and give it when I know she's hungry and unsuspecting. The small amount she sucks before she realizes. This doesn't always work and I didn't want the association of medicine and teat/bottles so I only did it when desperate.
    The other one is squirting the syringe into the side of her mouth during a feed...they don't usually realize but it takes some coordination!
    Finally, the most foolproof, which is really unpleasant, but when I had to get her heart medicine into her that was vital it works. When she was crying I squirted the medicine into her mouth and she would have a few second little choking thing because of the shock and then Swallow...then she'd be over it and smiling again. I hated doing it but knew it was important.
    Not sure any of these help though! I hate giving medicine. But it's a regular part of my routine now, reflux, heart and constipation medicine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and by 'her' I mean my bub, I know you have boy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamtam you're doing such an amazing job, that's a full time gig with your DD.

There were some good tips there, thanks! I'll try closing his mouth, it's awful when they choke isn't it

Mim, it's losec in suspension form (liquid).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you used the losec before? We tried losec but the latest research shows it decreases in effectiveness after being made into a compound... Depending too on the chemist that compounds it. Sorry to share that little gem. We changed to Zantac, the dose is less than what was needed with losec and it's cheaper too. I give my dd two doses of .3mls of Zantac a day. Which was much easier than the losec dose.
    Good luck! Keep me posted on how it goes. On a side note...it is a full time gig and I hate giving medicine. She looks at me like I'm betraying her!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all, the 'putting it in a teat to suck out' trick us what they do in the NICU, too. When we were dosing Zantac and Losec, we mixed it with a little prune juice, which is sweet and bubs soonn learn it tastes great and go for it happily. It has the side-effect of redicing constipation caused by reflux formula and, sometimes the meds, and is far gentler and as effective as constipation meds.
    The best trick is squirting it in the side of the mouth when they are already feeding well, as mentioned above by another savvy parent. It may be worth mentioning it to your paed if none of the above work and it is being vomited up even when the taste is camouflaged, as it may not be being tolerated well. Probably, though, it's the horrendous flavour of the stuff... I remember trying it, and it's disgusting.
    Hope you manage to find a system that works for you, and that your bub grows out of the reflux sooner rather than later. Our guy only had it moderately, but he outgrew it by 4-5mo and starting solids early definitely helped. Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The dose is 2.5ml twice a day - it's a massive amount for a little squishie who keeps spitting it out! Would much prefer 0.3ml Tamtam. It's also $65 and a pita to get to the one compound chemist on this side of town.

So I've tried the bottle again tonight before the feed when hungry. mixed 2.5ml with 50ml EBM so taste should be irrelevant - no go. He won't even take a dummy yet, so the bottle is impossible.

He's too worked up now to continue trying, so will have to try the 'close mouth blow on face' trick later....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    The dose is 2.5ml twice a day - it's a massive amount for a little squishie who keeps spitting it out! Would much prefer 0.3ml Tamtam. It's also $65 and a pita to get to the one compound chemist on this side of town.

So I've tried the bottle again tonight before the feed when hungry. mixed 2.5ml with 50ml EBM so taste should be irrelevant - no go. He won't even take a dummy yet, so the bottle is impossible.

He's too worked up now to continue trying, so will have to try the 'close mouth blow on face' trick later....
    Exactly one of the reasons we stopped the losec...I couldn't get that much into her. So I absolute feel your pain. Can you talk to the dr or paed about using either zantac or gavicson? I went through them all...even mylanta and ended up finding Zantac the best. $65!! I paid $45 and thought that was bad enough. I hope you manage to get some into him, reflux sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second tam, Zantac is way awesome. It's peppermint flavour which is pretty gross but I used to squirt it right at the back of DS's mouth and he'd do the little choke and swallow. Eventually he'd just take it without too much complaint. Losec is so crazy expensive and the dose is huge!