+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help - really anxious!!

I have generalised anxiety disorder, and have done for many years. Some times it's better and I can manage it quite easily. Recently it's been fairly bad so I've been seeing a psych.

My psych is booked up until sometime in June & right now my anxiety is worse and I really need some coping strategies.

Within my anxiety disorder I have always been afraid of the dark & this sometimes makes me uncomfortable being home alone at night etc.

This is a major problem at the moment because my fear has got really intense & DH is often away for work so I have to be home alone some nights. Those nights I basically get next to no sleep. I can't sleep in the dark, so I have to leave a light on, but I still freak out. Generally I sit up playing games on my phone etc. I work full-time so getting next to no sleep at nights is a big problem.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    have you tried leaving the tv on? so it sounds like more company is around?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use white noise app while i sleep (i dont have anxiety, but have had depression since being a teenager so i have trouble switchng my mind off) i listen to the sound of either a thunderstorm or a campfire. I dont know why this works but its really helpful, it also is really good for getting back to sleep when i wake up to pee every 2 hours!
    I also write down all the things that are on my mind just before i go to sleep. Its a coping stratergy my psych gave me for clearing my head.
    Hope that helps! Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JD Mumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sleep with the tv on when my DH is away because I don't like being alone. Probably a crazy thought too, but we have a dog,..she doesn't sleep inside but when he's away I let her sleep inside because I get nervous. Makes me feel a bit better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I will try some of those tips.

Oh & I probably should have said - I am also really scared of the house burning down in the middle of the night so I have to make sure everything but essentials (fridge etc) are turned off at the wall before going to bed. So unfortunately I can't leave the tv on - wish I could, it would probably work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i have also suffered from anxiety and i have found a particular book to be very useful. It is called 'the happiness trap'. The name of the book is a bit misleading in my opinion but it has some great ways to help overcome anxiety and depression. I have no connection to the author or , i've just found it to be the most useful book i've come across!