+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not saying I agree with this at ALL, but back when I was a kid Mum didnt have much of a clue about nutrition (at all haha). So.... my little sister used to get green cordial (strong) or cooled, sweetened milky instant coffee. Yep. Coffee.

We also were never taught to drink water. If I was thirsty, I drank coke or choc milk, that was just what we did and those were the options presented as normal. By the time we got to Australia, and I was old enough to understand better, I had a 2L a day full-fat coke addiction to deal with.

I think it's pretty wrong and wouldnt do the same for my kids... but... I am pretty sure both my sister and I have turned out both quite normal and reasonably intelligent, and both perfectly average BMIs. I still shudder to think back to those days though....

You should hear what we used to eat Interestingly, my sister and I both now really dont like junky foods or much in the way of sweet drinks. Almost like we overloaded on it as kids and are now driven to healthy stuff.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    My 2 year old has a bottle of milk and a little bit of hot choc in it each morning. Perhaps I need to add this to the things you would get judged for on BH...
    So did my girls when the had a bottle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Ribena... It seems to be what every little kid had back when I was small. It's so vile and ridiculously sweet. I don't know how kids can handle it. Ee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry if I've offended with the bottle comment, it's just something I associate with a baby so when I see flavoured milk/juice/whatever in a bottle I imagine the child as younger - I mostly think of 1 and under as having bottles, obviously wrongly. DS has only ever had drinks other than BM out of a regular cup or water bottle so I admit I don't know the average age most toddlers give up bottles, I don't judge as in boo bad parent but do think it looks strange because they make me think of babies. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Because strawberries are $7 a punnet strawberry milk is $2.50 a litre.
    I totally see what you're saying!

In that case why not throw in fruit that's in season then, or even a banana and some cocoa?

I guess I'm a little sensitive when it comes to this stuff because my mother is forever trying to get me to give 9 mth old DS flavoured milks and soft drinks (she has a full blown soft drink addiction herself!), drives me nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    lol my son is extremely fussy with foods, he will eat alot of fruit but no way would he drink a fruit smoothy, but that said milk / milo etc is mostly a treat and he doesnt drink milk except on his cerial and occasionally has a flavoured milk
    I too was really fussy as a kid, I'm just hoping my posts on threads like these aren't going to come around and bite me in the *** one day! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew loved vegemite so my sister used to put a teaspoon in a bottle with sterile water. According to my Mum and her friends this was the thing to do back in their day but I still found it weird

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regarding energy drinks and coke.. Is it because the parents are idiots or they don't care ? I really find it bizzare that someone would think that's a good idea .. Once again . I wish some people wouldn't breed !

regarding the price of fresh strawberries. ... Buy frozen ones ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me, it was pured veggies in with the milk, done by none other than myself! DS was a difficult eater- loved his milk, but was not a fan of his food so this was my solution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not in a bottle but still a WTF moment. We were in a playground recently and a little boy of maybe 2 had a drink of his Mum's diet coke and spat out out and said "yuck, not that sh!t. I want Daddy's drink". Then he picked up his Dad's coke, took a mouthful and said "thats's better". I couldn't believe he actually knew the difference between a coke and diet coke at such a young age.