+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much EBM once eating solids?

So as the title suggests I am wanting to know is there a guide to how much EBM to be giving once solids are introduced.

Ds was 6 months on 23rd April and has been having solids for four weeks now. He mostly has baby food (homemade though) in the traditional sense but we have also been experimenting with finger foods but find when he is actually hungry he won't have a bar of them.

So I breastfeed him then about an hour after the milk feed I give him his food. He usually has 3 or 4 tablespoons and I think if I let him he would keep eating alot more. He has breaky, lunch and dinner.

I got him weighed today and he has put on 590gms in 12 days which is massive compared to his usual 90-100gms per week he was previously gaining.

I am now back at work two days a week and he has EBM while I'm gone and I have no idea how much to give him. Previously I worked on the 150mls x kg / number of feeds per day.

But if formula fed the information from child health says they only need 600mls per day so I'm thinking that the above formula is no longer accurate.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told that milk is still more important until 10-12mths old. The old saying 'food before one is just for fun'....

So I'd continue with that guide for the EBM for at least another few months myself. 6mths is quite young to be cutting back on EBM/formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 6 months old and has about 950ML a day... 600 doesn't seem like a lot at all.

I think 180-200 would be a safe amount. You could always pump 200ish and give it to him when he's due for a feed and see how much he has, as a rough guide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I know milk is still more important for another few months but just didn't want to give him too much, but then also don't want to under feed him.

I guess I just freaked out when he got weighed today and had put on so much in such a short amount of time. And dh younger brother is severely overweight and they were constantly told by people it's just puppy fat, he will grow into it but he never did.

I've tried to tell him at this age it's ok to be chubby but he is still worried. Not that he is overly chubby, he is just under the 50th percentile line.

Callmedragon, I expressed two feeds while at work yesterday and I got about 160-170mls each time. I know this isn't always indicative of how much they are getting from the source but wondering in this case if it is?

The first bottle yesterday he drank the whole 220mls but the second he only drank 160 of the same amount so 60 was wasted. I have a good stash in the freezer so I have it to use but also don't want to waste too much of it as its precious stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Expressing definitely isn't a good indication - I can only get 40-60ml if I'm lucky each time!

Why don't you separate some milk in to smaller portions? That way you can make up a bottle of say 150ml, but provide 1-2 smaller portions that can be given if bub still appears hungry. Less wastage of the liquid gold!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    Thanks ladies. I know milk is still more important for another few months but just didn't want to give him too much, but then also don't want to under feed him.

I guess I just freaked out when he got weighed today and had put on so much in such a short amount of time. And dh younger brother is severely overweight and they were constantly told by people it's just puppy fat, he will grow into it but he never did.

I've tried to tell him at this age it's ok to be chubby but he is still worried. Not that he is overly chubby, he is just under the 50th percentile line.

Callmedragon, I expressed two feeds while at work yesterday and I got about 160-170mls each time. I know this isn't always indicative of how much they are getting from the source but wondering in this case if it is?

The first bottle yesterday he drank the whole 220mls but the second he only drank 160 of the same amount so 60 was wasted. I have a good stash in the freezer so I have it to use but also don't want to waste too much of it as its precious stuff.
    A baby won't over eat, they don't know how to! I know DS is done because he refuses to suck on the teat and shuts his mouth. He also pulls his head away, he won't drink anymore than he wants/needs! My babe is 90th+ percentile for his weight and I'm not bothered in the slightest. He's a happy, healthy baby who certainly isn't over eating.

You can pour the milk into an ice cube tray, I think they're either 30 or 60ML depending on the tray. That way you can pop a few cubes into the bottle and defrost, then if he wants more, repeat!

Don't worry about a big weight gain, that's good! Just remember our bubs have just gone through their 6 month growth spurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again ladies. I will separate the fresh stuff into some smaller portions to add to the others when needed. As the ones in the freezer are all different amounts depending on how much I previously expressed in that day when I was pumping several times a day after feeds.

I will tell dh about the growth spurt and hope that reassures him. And the more I think about it I wonder if my weigh was accurate as yesterday we had to put DS in the right spot on the scale as he was too long and resting his feet on the table. Wondering if he had done this without me realising last time too.

Sorry another question, so if he is in fact drinking say 200 mls twice a day when I'm gone but I can only express 160mls each time, should I be expressing a third time while at work for my supply? Or because on the days I'm home he will drink what he needs so I will still make enough?

I am only working two days a week and they are Monday and Thursdays so not consecutive days.