+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you a police officer and mum? Can it work?

I would love to hear from any mums who are police officers and if you find the hours and being a mum work ok.

I've always wanted to become a police officer and would love to finally make it happen!

Anyone become one recently when you already had a young family? Anyone in QLD who can shed some light on the process of becoming a police officer?

Any insight what so ever would be greatly appreciated!!!!! 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone??? 😀

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I knew some when I worked at the vicpol head office it was a matter of having a good relationship with whoever was coordinating shifts and having flexible day care available ( family day care works well as the lady might be willing to let kiddie sleep
    Over etc if needed or a family member ofcourse)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When my kid was in hospital we shared a room with a policewoman and her daughter. She was a single mum of 4.

She says they have very good family friendly policies in place, while she was there with her daughter she was paid leave and made to feel like she could take as much time as her daughter needed, they really supported her and a few coworkers came in to bring her a hamper of food and some flowers which demonstrated a very cohesive group of people I thought.

I don't know much else about it, but I know she loves her job and manages to do it as a single mother (youngest was 1).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband is a police officer in NSW. S I don't know too much about QLD. But here in NSW it is a 3-6 month course live in at the academy, depending on your other qualifications. And here they do 12 hour shifts 6-6, which means you work 19 out of 42 days, in general duties. If your in a specialty area the shifts can be different. So you do need a support network to help with the shifts, but the women I know in there all love it and make it work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, have you tried ringing the Oxley Police Academy as they can give you info on recruitment. A very good friend of mine is a Police Woman and has one child and her station is very flexible and accommodating with her shifts and loves her work. Here is a number to express interest: 1300 BE A COP or www dot police recruit dot com dot au.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 01-05-2013 at 21:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!! I spoke to someone today and sadly I have moved 6.5 hours from the closeted academy (for a 3 month and then 6 months training) so it's not a possible option for me at the moment which I am soo sad about but hopefully one day it will be.