+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to get my dd's done soon (she's 10 months ATM) because IMO there's less chance of them getting infected because she won't play with them as much as I did when I got mine done at 10. Yes it will hurt but it will be the same amount of pain wether she's 10 months or 10 years. I wish my mum had got mine done when I was a baby as I believe I wouldn't have had so many problems with them in the healing stage.
    Most of the people around her have piercings so there is no doubt in my mind that she will ask for them down the track anyway. In saying that, if she decides she doesn't want them she can take them out...

He + Me since 02/11/08 💍
    Miss Willow Jayde 03/07/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I originally wanted DD's done when she was young but DH was dead set against it so I never bothered, I didn't care either way so the fact it clearly meant something to him won out for me.

DD asked me about a month ago (she's 4) if she could get them done. I said I don't mind if she does but explained how it's done to her and that she has to keep them super clear and it's a bit of hard work and she thought about it and said "naaaahhhh I'll just buy a necklace instead" haha and hasn't mentioned it since.

I don't think it looks "trashy" or anything at all. I think it can look super adorable on little girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I chose not to get my daughters done, and to not allow them to until they were 16yo to give them the chance of making an informed decision. (I was thinking about things including allergies, or upsetting the yin/yang, reflexology, etc.)

Miss17 got hers done just after turning 16, and it was really difficult for her. She had wished they were done when she was younger and didn't know what was happening.

Miss19 had always wished that hers were done when she was too young to remember the pain, and was eagerly awaiting her 16th birthday to get them done. But ... when she turned 16 she thought she only really wanted them for her year 12 formal and didn't think it was worth it to get them pierced for one event, so chose not to. She eventually got hers done at 18yo, and they are very slow healing. (It has been 4 months so far and they haven't fully healed yet.)

Miss14 wants a belly button ring and expected to get one at 16, and was most annoyed when I told her that earings were the only option. I expect she'll get them as soon as she turns 16.

Miss12 bought some clip on earings that you can put pierced earings through, so she has a workaround for herself. I expect she'll get them pierced as soon as she turns 16.

Miss9, Miss6, and Miss4, I have no idea at this stage. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I had a daughter I would make her wait until at least 10 as I think she would be able to fully comprehend what's involved.

I begged my dad to let me get my ears pierced growing up and it was always a no. When I turned 14 I stayed with my aunty for a week and convinced her that I was allowed. Honestly I'm glad I waited. It flippen hurt!!!

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally am not into peircing my childrens ears before they can ask for it themselves but have no problem with other people doing it - its none of my damn business. Unfortunately on these forums people go a bit extreme, alot of things people say in forums I never come across irl - ie people being sooo oppossed to peircing babies ears etc

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    I personally am not into peircing my childrens ears before they can ask for it themselves but have no problem with other people doing it - its none of my damn business. Unfortunately on these forums people go a bit extreme, alot of things people say in forums I never come across irl - ie people being sooo oppossed to peircing babies ears etc
    People feel passionately about different things. Sometimes these kinds of discussions even bring about social change.

Can you imagine a men's forum back in the day...

thumbswidththeodore: "I don't like to hit my wife, but I have no problem with other men doing it. It's none of my damn business!"

Or a forum in the US circa 1850...

Mississippi_19: "Some people on these forums are so opposed to slavery, I never come across that IRL!"
    Last edited by lambjam; 30-04-2013 at 11:50.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (30-04-2013),Guest654  (30-04-2013),peanutmonkey  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let DD have her ears pierced once she was old enough to request it, look after the piercing, and understand what she was doing. I'd imagine somewhere around 10-11 would (at this point) sit okay with me.

I wouldn't do it to a baby or toddler, for reasons that have already been stated.

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    People feel passionately about different things. Sometimes these kinds of discussions even bring about social change.

Can you imagine a men's forum back in the day...

thumbswidththeodore: "I don't like to hit my wife, but I have no problem with other men doing it. It's none of my damn business!"

Or a forum in the US circa 1850...

Mississippi_19: "Some people on these forums are so opposed to slavery, I never come across that IRL!"

I really dont think they are in the same ballpark to be honest. Your talking about DV and Slavery and this thread is about ear peircings - hardly ruining anyones lives or mentally / physically scarring them for life!

I get people feel passionately about different things I just cant stand when people start throwing around words like 'trashy' 'bogan' 'tacky' etc - ok not your cup of tea - FINE, but do people really have to get so insulting about it really?

and pmsl at thumbswidththeodore off topic.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeForWine For This Useful Post:

jellybeanicecream  (30-04-2013),oozzle  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Apart from the fact I don't think it looks good, those piercing guns are unhygienic

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (30-04-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    I really dont think they are in the same ballpark to be honest. Your talking about DV and Slavery and this thread is about ear peircings - hardly ruining anyones lives or mentally / physically scarring them for life!

I get people feel passionately about different things I just cant stand when people start throwing around words like 'trashy' 'bogan' 'tacky' etc - ok not your cup of tea - FINE, but do people really have to get so insulting about it really?

and pmsl at thumbswidththeodore off topic.
    I'm talking about social change and how laws change according to the times; they were two laws that came to mind but just as there are laws protecting children from tattoos or more "radical" piercings, I believe there should be laws protecting them from all piercings (which do scar for life, yes!).

I agree that words like trashy and bogan aren't appropriate; we're talking about children here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (30-04-2013)