+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    That's completely different. It might be cosmetic but you are having it done for a reason. I don't even see that in the same park as piercing a babies ears just because it looks cute.
    I don't think it is that different from the ear piercing or circumcion debate actually. Since being told i have kind of changed my tune. I could of waited until she is older and let her make the choice whether she thinks its important enough to warrant the risks of an operation. After all Iam only doing it for cosmetic reasons. She won't actually see any better or anything. She was born like that and it isn't hurting her and Iam putting her through an operation which we all know there are "risks" with any operation purely so she looks better and fits in. I love my dd more than life itself and Iam putting her through this operation because I never want her to be made to feel bad. I originally thought about getting it later but recently she has been asked a few times in the playground by older kids what's wrong with her eye. I think we all need to teach our kids tolerance, kindness and acceptance rather than judge people by their looks or choices. No child/ baby or toddler should ever be described as looking trashy no matter what in my opinion. I don't care if their parents have given them mullet haircuts, dressed them in baby bikini's or pierced their ears. It's just plain wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Think it's gross and bogan unless for cultural reasons, and even then I hate the look of it, even though I understand it.

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no issues with babies or toddlers having their ears pierced.

Personally, I have no desire to get DD's done until she asks. But if someone wants to get their young daughters done, that is Their prerogative.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-04-2013),jellybeanicecream  (30-04-2013),TimeForWine  (30-04-2013),~Marigold~  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't bother me too much either way on other peoples kids.

I probably wouldn't get my own kids done as it seems like unnessessary effort (the actual piercing and then the after care/maintenance).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hate it. When I got my ears pierced it stung and brought a tear to my eye, why would a parent want to cause unnecessary pain to their baby, just because it looks good?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think parents should wait until the child is old enough to request it and understand it. I read a whole ago that babies go into shock after having it done, hence why everyone says they only cry for a little while. I don't believe in interfering with an intact body unless medically indicated. JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to wait til I was 13 or something, I desperately wanted them done before then but wasn't allowed. I allowed mine to get theirs done when they started asking which was about 5. I did want them to decide, I feel that they should decide what happens to their body.

However, I really don't care what other people do with their girls EARS! Yes, its a little hole in their ears, that closes over if they decide as an adult that their parents made the wrong decision!

I think saying a baby looks trashy is completely unwarranted and uncalled for. People definitely have a tendency to overthink things on here sometimes I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    I don't think it is that different from the ear piercing or circumcion debate actually. Since being told i have kind of changed my tune. I could of waited until she is older and let her make the choice whether she thinks its important enough to warrant the risks of an operation. After all Iam only doing it for cosmetic reasons. She won't actually see any better or anything. She was born like that and it isn't hurting her and Iam putting her through an operation which we all know there are "risks" with any operation purely so she looks better and fits in. I love my dd more than life itself and Iam putting her through this operation because I never want her to be made to feel bad. I originally thought about getting it later but recently she has been asked a few times in the playground by older kids what's wrong with her eye. I think we all need to teach our kids tolerance, kindness and acceptance rather than judge people by their looks or choices. No child/ baby or toddler should ever be described as looking trashy no matter what in my opinion. I don't care if their parents have given them mullet haircuts, dressed them in baby bikini's or pierced their ears. It's just plain wrong!
    You are having this procedure to avoid your DD being teased or being made to feel different, which are difficult emotions for a child of any age. No child gets teased for not having their ears pierced. Totally different IMO.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Kelly8329  (30-04-2013),SoThisIsLove  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Teaching tolerance is great but I wouldn't want my child to be the abject lesson or face teasing or bullying because there is something wrong with her eye muscle. If there is something wrong with her eye muscle then getting it corrected is what you do, yeah? It will save her emotional distress because as we all know, this world isn't perfect and she is already being questioned about her eye.
    In context, there is no malformation of an ear that will be repaired by shoving a pretty spike through it. I don't think the eye OP is comparable to ear piercing as it is cosmetic in nature and will not prevent any negative effects.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (30-04-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no idea that this was an issue to be honest, until I joined bubhub. I never gave it a second thought, certainly never saw it as "trashy". It comes up time and time again, but I struggle with the labels like "trashy" when describing toddlers or very young children. i actually don't agree and my idea of trashy must be vastly different... A sequined G-string hanging out of someone's trackie dacks, trashy, imo. 2 little earrings on a little girl.... doesn't concern or bother me. Maybe this is because we all had earrings when I little (had my own ears done at 3 I think) and it was just normal. Calling pierced ears body modification seems extreme to me... I guess when I hear that term I think of branding the skin or something bigger than a single lobe piercing. I know I'm in the minority on here, but it's strange because in real life I've never heard anyone bag out another woman's child or the mother herself for piercing ears. Maybe because they wouldn't say it aloud?
    But that is my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.
    Having said that, I wont be piercing DD's ears, only because I don't like the look of it on my baby, not because I see it as trashy or tacky, but I just don't like much jewellery myself, I took my earrings out long ago and only wear the occasional necklace or bracelet.
    If DD asked me I will allow her to have them done.

I hope this thread remains respectful to others.

Oh, and someone on here called it "bogan". Well some of the most un-bogan people I know have their kids ears pierced so I most definitely disagree with that.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 30-04-2013 at 09:21.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Babymiracle  (01-05-2013),Cazza1981  (30-04-2013),Lauzy83  (30-04-2013),Purple Lily  (30-04-2013),RipperRita  (30-04-2013)