+ Reply to Thread

Default feeding and sleeping schedule for 4 month old

dd2 is nearly 4 months. i have just been going with the flow with breastfeeding and sleeps but am now ready for a loose routine. she's all over the place atm and she seems to be getting into a feeding to sleep pattern which i want to avoid.
    Id love to her of some routines including wake times, sleeps and how many feeds for 4 month olds.she's not easy to settle at night and almost always falls asleep feeding as she's so tired

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At that age DS fed around 2.5 - 3 hrs. I follow the feed play sleep routine so how often he fed really depended on how long he slept for. And as at that age he mainly only slept in 45 min blocks it was often. And he only stayed awake about 1.5 hrs, sometimes less.

When he started sleeping for 1.5 hrs and staying up for two hours it pushed out to 3.5 hrs but that was only around 5.5 months I think from memory.

Now at 6 months and having three meals a day he has milk feeds slightly longer. Up to four hours, however sometimes less still.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I loosely follow a feed play sleep routine based on 3 hrly feeds at 4 months old, but would try to push it out to 3.5 hours if I could. Basically it looked like this.
    First feed of the day (no matter what time she fed at night) is 7:00am.
    Feed 7:00am
    Play for 1.5-2hrs depending on how tired.
    Sleep 9:00-10:00 or later if she will resettled.
    Feed 10:00. Same deal as before, play then sleep.
    feeds-7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 6:30.
    I always do bath time at about 6ish then story a bottle and into bed. I feed to sleep at night. Then usually she has a feed at around 10:30 (dream feed) then she will wake at 2/3am for another feed.
    If I can push out the feeds due to a good sleep in the morning and lunch time I do and just do the next feed 3or 4 hours after the last one. And sometimes this brings feeds closer together at bed time but that is fine for her.

I started my baby on Tizzie Hall routines when he was 4.5 months old. I didn't follow her routines completely but just used them as a guide. I liked her Save Our Sleep book because she provided routines and as a first time mom, all I had to do was follow her routine timings and adjust it slightly to suit us better, and then from then on, just kept moving him on to the next routine in the book. He's now eleven months old. If you don't want to buy the book you can always just borrow from the library and have a look to see if it suits you, or purchase just the routines from the website.