+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I am probably the only one who feels there people should be sent back to where they came from. yes its sad they are living in horrible conditions etc but WHY is it our problem? Yes this probably makes me 'un-Christian' but where do we draw the line?? What concerns me is the future of my children. The more refugees we allow into society means less housing, jobs etc for my kids. I worry about religious wars breaking out in my back yard as lets face it these people bring these issues with them. I acknowledge that i would surly sing a different tune if it was me and my children in their situation but we are lucky to live in a country that is free of war, has medicines and sanitation but please tell me how long this will last if we keep allowing more and more people from war torn countries. I think its time we started thinking about ourselves a bit and stop trying to fix everyone elses problems...god knows we have enough problems in our own back yard. Im sure a lot of people will be up in arms about what ive just posted but remember its MY opinion and im allowed to have one just like youall.
    Why isn't it our problem? They are people, we are people. They are mothers, fathers, children, human beings, just like us. Do we ignore people being persecuted and killed because they live in a different place? Do you realise how small the actual number of refugees coming in to this country actually is? Especially when compared to the amount of people coming here on legal visas who then never leave- these are your illegal immigrants and there is way more of them than there is refugees. These people are working cash in hand or using falsified documents or using so,done else's identity to be here, yet it is these poor, desperate and in peril people that so many of us are quick to sentence to death by demanding they are sent back where they have come from.

Loislane, it is not illegal to seek asylum here. Let me ask you, could you stand in front of these poor people coming here in what is often a last ditch attempt to save the lives of them and their families, and tell them they had to go back? That they are not as deserving of safety, security or freedom as you are?

Does it make you unchristian? As an atheist I can't answer that from my own perspective but I can tell you that Jesus himself is considered to have been a refugee and there are bible passages prescribing the treatment of refugees, namely that you should not harm them and you should help them. So if you would have booted baby Jesus out and back to Egypt to face infant slaughter over your concerns for housing and jobs, yeah, I guess that makes you unchristian. Seriously, the biblical references on refugees are worth reading if it may help your perspective, and RobinSparkles posted a great link too, I hope you will read it and think on this some more.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-04-2013),Busy-Bee  (30-04-2013),kw123  (30-04-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    One bit of interesting information that was stated in the show last night, the "pacific solution" (ie, detaining asylum seekers in off-shore countries rather than Australia but at the cost for Australia) has cost $1 million per asylum seeker. From an economic point of view this is insane.

When I watched TV as a child it was Vietnamese refugees and there was much talk about the Vietnamese taking the country over, stealing our jobs, stealing our women etc.

I can't grasp how people can be so uncaring about other people. These are people with thoughts, feelings, dreams just like all of us. They don't hurt any less than we would if we had lost a child to a land mine or our daughter was pack raped for going to school or our husband was detained because he was related to someone the authorities had suspicions about. I have recently read about life in some of the countries where many asylum seekers come from and I tell you what, there is a strong case that every single woman and child in that country should have grounds for seeking asylum! Living in fear 24/7 that your family is going to be killed because you're in a minority clan or that the best you can hope for your family is a 1 room hut with no chance of your children receiving an education, having your baby die in your arms because you can't access basic medical care. This is standard, every day stuff for millions of people. Not your problem? Go up in a plane or have a look on Google Earth, can you see the borders? Nope. They are human constructs.

Surely we can figure out a better system than the one we have where asylum seekers, when they arrive are processed within weeks and once found to be legit are provided with assistance to integrate into Australian life. I am all for there being a step where asylum seekers (and any immigrants for that matter) are required to understand what the social norms, expectations and law is that they will be required to follow. Then they would be granted work permits and some ongoing support to encourage a smoother transition into Australian life.

*warning - highly contentious statement to follow*
    Unless we rid the world of conflict, particularly religious conflict and all embrace values of human rights there will always be asylum seekers.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-04-2013),Atropos  (30-04-2013),kw123  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not saying I don't have compassion for them. I do!

I just feel for our Australians who need genuine help too.

Thank you for the article RobinSparkles. Myth 12 clarified a few things.

I was friends and studied with a couple of asylum seekers back in NSW and I have also cared for 2 children who along with their family were asylum seekers.
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 30-04-2013 at 09:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For loislane- regarding Christianity and refugees.

Leviticus 19:33-34
    “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Exodus 22:21
    “You shall not wrong a sojourner or oppress him, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 27:19
    “‘Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’

Zechariah 7:9-10
    “Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.”

Jeremiah 7:5-7
    “For if you truly amend your ways and your deeds, if you truly execute justice one with another, if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm, then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever."

Hebrews 13:2
    "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Proverbs 31:8-9
    "Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    One bit of interesting information that was stated in the show last night, the "pacific solution" (ie, detaining asylum seekers in off-shore countries rather than Australia but at the cost for Australia) has cost $1 million per asylum seeker. From an economic point of view this is insane.

When I watched TV as a child it was Vietnamese refugees and there was much talk about the Vietnamese taking the country over, stealing our jobs, stealing our women etc.

I can't grasp how people can be so uncaring about other people. These are people with thoughts, feelings, dreams just like all of us. They don't hurt any less than we would if we had lost a child to a land mine or our daughter was pack raped for going to school or our husband was detained because he was related to someone the authorities had suspicions about. I have recently read about life in some of the countries where many asylum seekers come from and I tell you what, there is a strong case that every single woman and child in that country should have grounds for seeking asylum! Living in fear 24/7 that your family is going to be killed because you're in a minority clan or that the best you can hope for your family is a 1 room hut with no chance of your children receiving an education, having your baby die in your arms because you can't access basic medical care. This is standard, every day stuff for millions of people. Not your problem? Go up in a plane or have a look on Google Earth, can you see the borders? Nope. They are human constructs.

Surely we can figure out a better system than the one we have where asylum seekers, when they arrive are processed within weeks and once found to be legit are provided with assistance to integrate into Australian life. I am all for there being a step where asylum seekers (and any immigrants for that matter) are required to understand what the social norms, expectations and law is that they will be required to follow. Then they would be granted work permits and some ongoing support to encourage a smoother transition into Australian life.

*warning - highly contentious statement to follow*
    Unless we rid the world of conflict, particularly religious conflict and all embrace values of human rights there will always be asylum seekers.
    Totally agree