+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 4 corners - asylum seekers...

Anyone watching 4 corners?

Asylum seekers expose...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm about to..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    pretty confronting stuff.. especially the children..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saw a great billboard in Melbourne that basically highlighted the fact that Tony Abbott and the Liberal party constantly seem to forget that seeking asylum is NOT illegal!!!!! In any way, shape or form.

Seriously, point a gun at anyone's family and I bet anything that they would do whatever it took to protect them. Including (god forbid - how shocking!) not waiting in a war torn country for an appropriate visa to come through.

Sorry for the outburst. Feel very strongly about this!

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (29-04-2013),Atropos  (30-04-2013),beebs  (29-04-2013),Chunkydunks  (29-04-2013),Cue  (30-04-2013),dancingchipmunk  (29-04-2013),misskittyfantastico  (29-04-2013),RobinSparkles  (30-04-2013),SJG  (30-04-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (29-04-2013),Staaz  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree, kw! I really wish there was something I could do that would make a difference in some way

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wish someone would come up with the perfect solution. Get these poor people through the necessary checks, and integrated into society once those checks are done. Then the visa stuff can be worked out. And while they're at it, help them back into whatever their trained professions are from where they came from. They just want to be safe, live their lives and create a strong foundation for their families (or future family).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am probably the only one who feels there people should be sent back to where they came from. yes its sad they are living in horrible conditions etc but WHY is it our problem? Yes this probably makes me 'un-Christian' but where do we draw the line?? What concerns me is the future of my children. The more refugees we allow into society means less housing, jobs etc for my kids. I worry about religious wars breaking out in my back yard as lets face it these people bring these issues with them. I acknowledge that i would surly sing a different tune if it was me and my children in their situation but we are lucky to live in a country that is free of war, has medicines and sanitation but please tell me how long this will last if we keep allowing more and more people from war torn countries. I think its time we started thinking about ourselves a bit and stop trying to fix everyone elses problems...god knows we have enough problems in our own back yard. Im sure a lot of people will be up in arms about what ive just posted but remember its MY opinion and im allowed to have one just like youall.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

happychick1385  (30-04-2013),Lauzy83  (30-04-2013),ozeymumof5  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I am probably the only one who feels there people should be sent back to where they came from. yes its sad they are living in horrible conditions etc but WHY is it our problem? Yes this probably makes me 'un-Christian' but where do we draw the line?? What concerns me is the future of my children. The more refugees we allow into society means less housing, jobs etc for my kids. I worry about religious wars breaking out in my back yard as lets face it these people bring these issues with them. I acknowledge that i would surly sing a different tune if it was me and my children in their situation but we are lucky to live in a country that is free of war, has medicines and sanitation but please tell me how long this will last if we keep allowing more and more people from war torn countries. I think its time we started thinking about ourselves a bit and stop trying to fix everyone elses problems...god knows we have enough problems in our own back yard. Im sure a lot of people will be up in arms about what ive just posted but remember its MY opinion and im allowed to have one just like youall.
    I personally think this country was built by immigrants and will continue to be great because of them, yes I think we need a better system of processing them but we have so much to give I personally have no problem sharing

I don't think you are being "un christian " as thankfully being Christian is a choice here and I for one am glad to have that choice

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

saxonrose  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    But if its a matter of who was here first, I'm sure aboriginals who've been in Australia for 60,000 years thought the same when a load of random immigrants rocked up on boats. Multiculturalism is a fantastic thing. People who are less fortunate than us deserve help. Every country has " it's own problems" but don't you think protecting innocent civilians from war, rape and torture is a far more urgent problem to help solve?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SJG For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (30-04-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have to apologise in advance as I didn't see 4 corners tonight - but will go online and look for it now as it's something I'm interested in finding more about. So if any of my thoughts were addressed in the program tonight, then I'll retract them tomorrow.

What I thought when I saw the lib's billboard though was the fact that it said "illegal boats" which as far as I know is true - these boats are run by people smugglers who are running a business.

It doesn't mean the people seeking asylum are illegal. Anyone can seek asylum. Getting on a boat doesn't make you an illegal immigrant, it just makes you someone who decided to take that method to seek asylum.

My thoughts seem to tend towards that the people who run the boats are running them in a dangerous way and putting lives at risk while taking money off people who have risked a lot to get on the boats.

If the boats were stopped - would it stop people seeking asylum? No -it's pretty obvious that people are seeking asylum in their thousands via a lot of methods and via a lot of countries.

Would it make seeking asylum safer - I'm not sure, as when I've seen programs re: refugee camps in Kenya etc, I think of the people who are in these camps where they don't have enough to eat or drink and are at risk anyway. So what we see are people trying to circumvent the camps (or maybe they've been in camps and have seen that the boats are a way out of the camps). There are so many refugees in the world, of which Australia has taken in such a small proportion in relation to other countries, I found it almost laughable when I realised how few refugees we actually get in Australia when compared to other countries.

My thoughts go to how is the best way to figure if these people are genuinely seeking asylum (as I do think there are some who have tried get to Australia for opportunistic reasons rather than being genuine refugees - and this doesn't just happen via boats). The boat that got as far as Geraldton last week raised a lot of questions re: trying to get to New Zealand and more.

Where does the answer lie? I'm not sure. I read these types of threads in the hope of learning more (and happily, bubhub has provided me with a lot of links and info which has helped me learn more regarding the refugee situation). Happy for anyone who knows more about any points I've raised to educate me if I've posted any wrong info (it's how I learn)