+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's so wrong with cows milk?

I was just wondering why so many people seem to be so against cow's milk and dairy? (Besides those with allergies and intolerances of course!)

Is it bad for babies? So many of my friends are giving almond or soy milk to their kids and I'm wondering if I should too?

I compared the calcium content of different milks and was happy with cows milk, but is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Iron leaves maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has a milk allergy but if he didn't I would have no problems giving him cows milk. It can be difficult trying to find ways to make sure I'm getting the right nutrients into him if I could give him yoghurt, cheese and milk it would make things simpler.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have heard people say that most people are intolerant of lactose but we just don't realise because it is such a big part of our diet.

I give my DD dairy. I will avoid giving her soy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what I have been told from farmers and one Dr it's that the human body is not actually designed to break down cows milk. We shouldn't actually be drinking it ... Hence so many allergies and intolerances to dairy.
    Some people don't realize they actually have an allergy or intolerance because it comes in different forms ie; my son has milk protein intolerance which comes in the form of eczema and as a baby it was constipation.
    I guess maybe some people have heard this too!?
    I personally still give my kids milk
    My son refuses soy I have to find something else, we only just discovered his intolerance after almost 5 years of having it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    From what I have been told from farmers and one Dr it's that the human body is not actually designed to break down cows milk. We shouldn't actually be drinking it ... Hence so many allergies and intolerances to dairy.
    Some people don't realize they actually have an allergy or intolerance because it comes in different forms ie; my son has milk protein intolerance which comes in the form of eczema and as a baby it was constipation.
    I guess maybe some people have heard this too!?
    I personally still give my kids milk
    My son refuses soy I have to find something else, we only just discovered his intolerance after almost 5 years of having it!
    My DS has a milk protein too and gets terrible eczema. We give him oat milk - delicious!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Kelly8329  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    My DS has a milk protein too and gets terrible eczema. We give him oat milk - delicious!
    Will be off to buy some tomorrow thanks for the tip !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    Will be off to buy some tomorrow thanks for the tip !!
    It has the same amount of calcium per serve and less sugar too. I find myself having a glass every now and then too

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oat milk? I wouldn't mind trying that, I haven't heard of it but I can't handle dairy myself as it makes me sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of children find it hard to digest cows milk, I know when DS1 started drinking it after being weaned at 15 months he would get diarrhoea. I gave him goats milk instead which is better suited to our digestive systems.

At around 2 he was able to handle cows milk.