+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And just to add to my long post above.. the birth was completely natural with 1 midwife present. I spent most of my time in the water or I found laying over a yoga ball was great too. I had no intervention apart from being cut as I wasn't able to get her out (although I also needed to be cut with my second who wasn't posterior so I don't think this was related, I just had no energy left to push!!) It is totally possible for you still, the midwifes just need to inform you of worst case scenario xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jazi82 View Post
    Hi Casseih. Big hugs to you that you are upset and cried all the way home but speaking from experience there is no need to be upset, no matter which way your baby comes out he/she will be fine and so will you. My first was posterior and I did the exercises the midwife gave me to see if she would turn (swimming, yoga on all fours etc ) but nothing worked for me. I opted for a drug free labour and was advised to use a TENS machine which was available from the hospital to help ease the back pain and contractions through labour which worked wonderfully (it may be worth while checking if you can use TENS machines before labour to help ease the back pain you are experiencing now) Anyway from my knowledge (I may be wrong so don't quote me) a posterior baby may give you a longer labour and be slightly harder for the head to pass through, however its not impossible, if I could do it, you can do it, and it certainly didn't put me off having babies because im pregnant with my third. Just think of the end result, no matter how the baby comes out, being posterior isn't such a bad thing and they may even be able to turn baby while your in labour or while baby is on its way out. If you have anymore questions Id be happy to answer them for you xxx goodluck.
    Thank you jazi! I am relieved to hear it is possible... My midwife did mention the tens machine... Did you find that it helped and was it easy to use.. I read about it, but it does sound a little complicated to use. Have also been looking into the sterile water injections that help with back pain.. So hoping that will relieve some of that 'back labour' if he's still posterior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was prosterior - I tried all the midwives suggestions such as being on my hands and knees as often as possible - sitting forward on chairs - not lounging back but he wasn't budging!
    He turned during labour though.

If you get a chance have a read of Birth Skills - there is a chapter on prosterior births - I found it really helpful.

Wishing you all the best

Eta: my back pain stopped straight after birth - such a relief. I also managed my labour with gas only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    My DS was prosterior - I tried all the midwives suggestions such as being on my hands and knees as often as possible - sitting forward on chairs - not lounging back but he wasn't budging!
    He turned during labour though.

If you get a chance have a read of Birth Skills - there is a chapter on prosterior births - I found it really helpful.

Wishing you all the best

Eta: my back pain stopped straight after birth - such a relief. I also managed my labour with gas only.
    Thank you wobbleyhorse.. I will keep an eye out for that book and have a read!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Did you birth in the posterior position or did they turn during labour? Do you recommend sleeping on the left hand side from now on as well??? They haven't said anything to me about my placenta.. So I assume it is in the normal position?

To the mums who did birth a posterior baby, did the midwives encourage you to keep pushing for natural birth? Or did you feel pressure for intervention or assisted delivery?
    Your placenta can be either anteriorly or posteriorly positioned so front or back. Depends where it is indicated which way bub will turn during labour and how easy it will be.

Posterior labours are generally longer as bub has to squeeze more to get out.

More painful cos its longer.

Assistance is sometimes required cos mum is just exhausted after a long labour and a vacuum can do in a few contractions what pushing for 30-40min will do.

Mw will recommend what's best at that moment in time. I had OB at both my births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is definitely worth it. I don't remember it being too complicated. I think I practiced with it at home first, maybe even went to a quick class on how to use it at the hospital but im sure your midwife will be able to show u. when u have a contraction you just turn a dial and then turn it down again. My midwife never once tried to turn me off drug free labour or even once mentioned intervention. Even when I was begging for the baby to be taken out another way she wouldn't let me, she just kept encouraging and supporting me because she knew what I wanted from my birth plan. And I couldn't thank her more for not giving in to my requests in the end!! Where abouts are you having baby??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post

To the mums who did birth a posterior baby, did the midwives encourage you to keep pushing for natural birth? Or did you feel pressure for intervention or assisted delivery?
    I think it depends who your midwives are. Mine were amazing and encouraged natural as long as I felt I wanted to. I spent most if my labour on all fours or leaning over the side of the bed. The shower was also really nice at one point.
    It is really amazing how your body can do what it needs to. Trust in your body and in yourself Cassie. And at the end if all this you will have a beautiful baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having my baby at the Royal Brisbane Hospital Birth Centre... They are very pro natural birth there .. So hopefully they will do the same and push me to stick to my natural birth plan!

I'm not too sure about my placenta... I do remember it being on my last scan but I have no idea where that is right now.. Will have a look tomorrow.. What is the best position for the placenta to be in? They haven't mentioned anything to me about the position of the placenta, so I guess that is a good sign?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was posterior and came out that way as in he never turned. Idid need an episiotomy because his shoulder got stuck, but that could have happened even if he was the right way.

Tbh nobody told me he was posterior until after he was born. I did feel the labour more in my back and had a longer pre labour but this was all. That all made a lot more sense obviously once I knew he was posterior.

No one ever mentioned that I couldn't birth him naturally or would require more intervention or anything.

I'm now 26 weeks with my second, and fine with the fact that this one is posterior also.

You never know, bubs might move at the last moment, but not knowing any differently, my labour seemed pretty normal. Hth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just jumping in here! Definitely look into sterile water injections. My DS was posterior and i had horrible back pain, so I opted for the injections. They hurt like hell and I think i deafened my poor midwives, but OMG they took most of the pain away. They only lasted just over an hour but you can have it done again. Only negative is that not all midwives are trained to do them so u may have to wait for them to find someone.