+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Posterior Baby

I am 37 weeks, 3 days & just had a midwife appointment. My midwife said the baby is semi-posterior.... I cried the whole way home. Considering he was fine at my appointment a week ago

Have googled ideas to help get the baby out of the posterior position.. Just wondering if any of you have had this & what actually worked for you??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nothing worked for me but I didn't try anything my bubs just seem to like the posterior position. DD3 turned as she crowned.

Ive heard people mention the spinning babies website? Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was posterior at my 38 week appt too. I did some forward facing yoga poses; crawled on all fours for 5 mins 2-3 times a day, swam and visualized my baby facing the anterior way. It really helped me focus my mind a bit too and feel more positive about it all.
    Good luck, and your little one will come out the way it wants to :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah thank-you! I'll definitely try those... Did you find that your back pain eased when the baby was out of the posterior position? I have terrible lower back pain at the moment

I'm so stressed.. I was really excited going into my midwife appointment as I felt like things were getting close with my pre-labour symptoms.. But now this just feels like a big set back I'm now even worried when I sit on the lounge, as my midwife said sitting on the lounge encourages the baby to be posterior...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was posterior & during labour my OB had me on my knees leaning over the head of the bed to try & get her to turn. It didn't work during the actual labour but as she descended she turned any way.

I know some posterior labours are longer & cause severe back aches but I just wanted to let you know my labour wasn't any worse than with DS (pain wise, no sore back) & was a lot shorter. So it's not always the case

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boy was born posterior at 36wks and no one knew he was this way until they saw his forehead while I was pushing, after 2hrs of pushing he finally came

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh excellent, so it is still possible to have a vaginal birth with a posterior baby? The midwife book scared me a lot as they said it is increasing the chances of labour leading to c section or assisted delivery..

I would love to be able to have my natural water birth, so I was a bit disappointed that this could affect my birth plan! But great to hear from posterior birth mums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Two posterior labours here and two vbs.

Labour on hands and knees.
    Rock forwards and back on all fours. If you need to rest lie on your left side with your right knee flung over till you are almost on your tummy.

DO NOT lie on your back.

Dd1 - posterior and induced (mistake 1) 22hrs labour with vac delivery as she needed to be rotated out. I had an epi (mistake 2)

Dd2,- spontaneous onset but posterior presentation. Active birth and she rotated herself. Natural delivery after 2-3hrs.

Btw where is your placenta ?
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 29-04-2013 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Casseih. Big hugs to you that you are upset and cried all the way home but speaking from experience there is no need to be upset, no matter which way your baby comes out he/she will be fine and so will you. My first was posterior and I did the exercises the midwife gave me to see if she would turn (swimming, yoga on all fours etc ) but nothing worked for me. I opted for a drug free labour and was advised to use a TENS machine which was available from the hospital to help ease the back pain and contractions through labour which worked wonderfully (it may be worth while checking if you can use TENS machines before labour to help ease the back pain you are experiencing now) Anyway from my knowledge (I may be wrong so don't quote me) a posterior baby may give you a longer labour and be slightly harder for the head to pass through, however its not impossible, if I could do it, you can do it, and it certainly didn't put me off having babies because im pregnant with my third. Just think of the end result, no matter how the baby comes out, being posterior isn't such a bad thing and they may even be able to turn baby while your in labour or while baby is on its way out. If you have anymore questions Id be happy to answer them for you xxx goodluck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jazi82 For This Useful Post:

stephx3  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Two posterior labours here and two vbs.

Labour on hands and knees.
    Rock forwards and back on all fours. If you need to rest lie on your left side with your right knee flung over till you are almost on your tummy.

DO NOT lie on your back.

Avoid an epidural as you need to be moving to get bub out.

Btw where is your placenta ?
    Did you birth in the posterior position or did they turn during labour? Do you recommend sleeping on the left hand side from now on as well??? They haven't said anything to me about my placenta.. So I assume it is in the normal position?

To the mums who did birth a posterior baby, did the midwives encourage you to keep pushing for natural birth? Or did you feel pressure for intervention or assisted delivery?