+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to make this cake?

It's my BIL's 40th on the weekend. He's a bus driver so my sister has asked me to make this cake:
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1367216852.313451.jpg

Just wondering what you think the best way to do it would be? Like a slab cake tin, a bus tin (if they even exist!), or something else? Hoping not to spend too much on it!
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'd be able to make it with 2 slab tins.

Alternatively, cake shops hire out tins and may have a bus shape you could use

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try and hire a tin. We have a business locally that hires out tins and they are super easy to use and they look great. We pay $10 hire and a deposit. Maybe try FB for a local business that is doing this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could massively cheat and buy some sheet cakes (big rectangle cakes) made from vanilla sponge and stack them and then shape them to the bus shape......

Thanks
    Reviews
    If u already have slab tins I'd save the money & use them. 2 slabs- 1 for main part of bus just rounded in the areas then other slab for front of bus and wheels!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd do 2 slab tins, cut out the template into basic shapes and then cut those shapes out of the cake (freeze the cake before cutting it). I made a castle cake with 3 slab tins and a lot of tooth picks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would do a slab and make a template to cut it out of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Slab tins, draw the shape on grease proof paper and pin to the cake with toothpicks, cut around the design. You could use a buttercream frosting or a roll out fondant to cover it. Do the black lines in icing gel (cake aisle at supermarket) or liquorice straps. Two choc donuts for the wheels and voila!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thanks so much for all the advice! I don't have a slab tin, was thinking of buying one but have contacted a local cake shop this afternoon on your advice who hire them out for $10 so I'll just do that, and will also draw it onto baking paper then cut it that way - good thinking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you don't want to go the expense of slab tins, you can go to Woolworths Bakery and (possibly even Coles) and ask for a large un-iced slab cake, (I can't remember the exact measurements,) sorry. They are quite cheap and large enough to do the cake you have pictured. I would freeze it before icing etc to make it easier to ice and decorate.
    When I have made similar cakes I trace the design onto baking paper and hold it down with either tooth picks or skewers and use those long licorice straps as the outlines.

Great cake, perfect for a Bus Driver!