+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting rid of dummy. Not sure what to do.

Hi. We live in a 2 bedroom house with an office that comes off the kitchen/dining area. Its open plan.
    Miss 3.5 is in the bedroom (at rear of house away from everything) and mr 1yr old is in the office. Has been since birth. I have always had white noise going for him so the sounds of missy running around and us clattering about in the kitchen and at the table dont disturb him. I cant actually ever recal him being woken by any noise.
    Problem is now that i want to take the dummy away from him. He's currently waking 2-3 times or more at night but wont settle without a milk feed and his dummy. So, im after some advice about what i should do. Ive rang QEC sleep school for advice on taking dummy away and helping him learn to settle himself at night but dont get a call from them for another months time. so i want to try it myself first. Im pretty good at dealing with the crying as i took missy to sleep school when she was 7 months old but she never had a dummy. she just kept waking and didnt respond to me setteling her.

this whole 'dummy' thing is still new to me. I only gave it to DS upon recommendation from MCHN because he was feeding every 1.5 hrs around the clock when first born. It did help, but now im over having to constantly find lost dummys and him using them as a sleep aid.

He has a blankie that he's attached to so i'l keep that for him as a sleep cue and we have a good routine set up. He knows when bed time is and will even remind me. Its just this dummy issue. I wished i never gave it to him now. I feel the longer i leave it the harder it will be to get rid of it.

Can anyone offer some advice for me? What tecniques did you use? I must add that he dosent really respond to me setteling him either. He pushes my hand away if i try to pat him, his cry goes through the roof if i walk out on him after quietly telling him its sleep time and giving him his blankie and dummy. If i do the same method sleep school taught me with DD, he cries and cries for much longer. I understand about consistency in my technique and i understand it will get easier if i stick to it, but he is so much more difficult to settle than my 'very spirited' DD was.

So, anyone? Advice? I need sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my dd was the same. in the end no matter what i tried telling her, it didn't work. so i just had to be cruel and cut them in front of her. of course i felt like the worst mother in the world, but the dentist told me it was affecting the way her teeth were growing too, and she screamed and cried the house down. i got her a pillow pet with the night light and she loves it, however, she did have on and off crying for the first 10 days then gradually she stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It took two weeks for my DS to stop waking during the night and searching for his dummy. I almost gave in a million times, and he always stopped about 30 seconds before I have in.

He was 16 months.

DD has just given it up at 2 and a half without a single complaint. She was upset but she understood that she'd broken it by chewing it, and she'd put it in the bin herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ideas on getting rid of the dummy is either do it before they are 1 or after they are 3 (or when they can do it themselves). I tried getting rid of DD's dummy at about 2yo and it was horrible. When she was almost 3 I said the fairies in the sky needed her dummy for the other babies and she was more than happy to give it to them. Id say leave it for now. its too traumatic for them I think at 1 yr old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't get rid of the dummy. Have u tried using a dummy chain/ ribbon? You clip it in to his clothes so he can't lose it in his sleep. There are some lovely ones available and not too expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, think I'm convinced that it's best to wait till he's old enough to hand it over. I remembered Missy did that with her blankie and that was when she was around 3. every now and then she'll tell me that she really misses it so I'm sure she was old enough to make the conscious decision. I think it'd be nice for lil man to make a conscious decision too about his dummy.
    ....so guess it's staying! I'll go get some Velcro for his dummy tomorrow and sew it on the corner of his blankie. Lets hope this theory will work!