+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default dd not really talking at 19 months ... tell me your stories

My 19mo dd had a developmental assessment with the M&CHN today due to her lack of words. She doesn't mimic sounds (eg. baa baa, brrmm, brrmm, etc) and she says Mum & Dad every day and says "Ta" or "Hello" maybe every 2 days when she's in the mood (appropriately though). She has normal hearing, she does babble constantly and we can understand her quite well through gestures and grunts, she just doesn't talk. She doesn't use 'non-adult' words in a repetitive manner either (eg. 'Na' for food).

So, we're arranging a speech therapy appointment privately and we'll take it from there. But, if anyone has stories of their children that were similar that would be great. I know all children develop differently and the M&CHN has no other concerns about her development at all, just the speech. The issue isn't so much that she doesn't have a 'set number' of words, it's that she doesn't mimic and her language hasn't progressed for over 6 months.

And she does sign for 'fish', 'more' and 'swimming' (she loves swimming ), should I be signing more or less?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds2 is 18 months and up until 6 weeks ago he didn't bother to talk at all.

But now in the last 2 weeks he's copying everything. I reckon he's up to 20-30 words just in 1 fortnight.

I think some kids just are a bit slow with it, but I do admit, I have tried to make him talk/make sounds for a few weeks now, as in I've put way way more emphasis on speech during our play times and even nappy change times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 is 20mths next week and has always been a good babbler. But it's only been the past 4-6wks where he has really jumped forward with his speech.

It was almost like it was an overnight change too. One day he just started using more words! Now he is stringing 2-3 words together and trying to copy everything I say.

I honestly would not spend money on a private speech therapist quite yet, but that's just IMO. He's right at the age when many kids 'just get it', honestly tomorrow could be a different day for you!

Do what feels right for you of course, you know your bub best

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing, same with my 17m old ds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the stories. She has an appointment but it's not for over 3 weeks so that's a bit of extra time to see how she goes. My ds had grommets at 15 months and that's when his language exploded, but he had 12 words at 12 months (dropped to 6 words at 14 months due to hearing, hence the grommets) so this is quite different for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 18 months and is only saying pretty much the same as you described for your dd. in not worried at all I know he will talk in his own time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jordansmumma For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 19mth and not much in words.
    Good at crying and screaming tho!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to catbox For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was suggested my 22 mth old go to daycare 1 day a week, think this has helped and certainly good for social

Mel x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybel For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My oldest didnt say a word, or really babble. Then at 22 monthe he came out with full, clear sentances. I think he was too focused on early crawling, walking, climbing and runnning that he just didnt bother with talking.

DS2 didnt start speaking until just after his second birthday, didnt even say mum or dad... now 3 months off turning 3 I cant get him to shut up lol.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS1 at 19mth had pretty much no words..not even mumma or dada. I was worried. I spoke to my SIL who is a peadiatric speech therapist and she said not to worry until he was over 2. Not long after, all of a sudden, he started speaking, and quite quickly developed lots of words and stringing a couple words togather. He hasn't shut up since and now he drives me batty!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

mim1  (30-04-2013)