+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with everyone else and if I had been there I would have said ok girls you have x number of minutes before you need to give someone else a go. I like to encourage them to share at the park but I would never ask another child to hop off a piece of equipment so mine could have a turn. I understand asking for them to have a slide etc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't had anyone directly come out and ask my girls to move on etc, but I hate the 'stare down' people, as in whilst I am there pushing my child on the swing, the parent stands right there with their child just staring us down and waiting in earnest.
    When this happens I always get uncomfortable and cut short the swinging and then I am left to deal with an upset toddler.

If it's the other way around and my kids want to go on something already taken, I tell them to wait their turn and guide them to another piece of play equipment. I can never or would never do the stand there/stare down thing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are in QLD this is my SIL and I apologise on behalf of the family lol. She's moved to QLD now, but was/is notorious in our home town for this behaviour at parks and playgroups. Totally unacceptable behaviour.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (29-04-2013),cluckcluck  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This has happened to us. My boys were playing on the fort, going down the slide and some woman came up to them and said they had to move as her kids were going to play now. Her kids were older, so it's not like she could have been worried my kids would hurt hers! I stared the woman down for a good minute the calmly told her to move away NOW and not come within 10 meters of my children.

I don't put up with bossy mothers or fathers.

If my children are hoging something (swing, seesaw, etc) then I will tell them to take turns with other children but if it's general equipment then my kids have every right to be there, just like the other kids.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree DC, there is a big difference between your kids hogging equipment for a long time and you as a parent asking them to move onto something else, then it is to have another parent ask your kids to move on when they're clearly not hogging the equipment.

I would never have the what's it's to be so bold to do that anway! Some people have a lot of gumption!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (29-04-2013),dancingchipmunk  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely not!
    All kids need to learn patience, this is NOT teaching them that sometimes they need to wait to get what they want, or that sometimes they won't get what they want at all.

We've been at the park for hours before and depending on how busy it is, some kids don't get a go on some swings at all. Happy that my kids can play with anything! lol.. They make a game out of old fallen tree bark!

So, yeah.. I would never say that to anyones kids and if they said it to mine, I would, after getting over being dumbfounded, tell her to speak to me and NOT my kids if she has an issue with what they are doing..
    If I see other kids around though, I do give my kids limits so their not just hogging the swings or other equipment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make sure my kids don't hog equipment. The woman had literally been at the park for all of 5 seconds ! I thought my kids had gotten off the swing because they'd had enough of playing on it. They were on it for probably 5 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never tell kids to get off play equipment so that my kids could play. The only exception is if the kids had been playing on certain equipment for a long time then l would ask nicely if my kids could have a turn.

Think that lady that told your kids to get off the equipment needs a little reality check that the world does not revolve around her and her precious kids.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 29-04-2013 at 23:49.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    I make sure my kids don't hog equipment. The woman had literally been at the park for all of 5 seconds ! I thought my kids had gotten off the swing because they'd had enough of playing on it. They were on it for probably 5 minutes.
    That's really unfair of that Mum. She has some nerve telling another Mums kids what to do..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that mum is extremely rude, just rocking up and telling someone elses children what to do.

But, if it were my kids, what I would do would depend how long they'd been on that piece of equipment. If they'd been there for a while I'd tell them to give the other kids a go and everyone needed to share and take turns, whereas if they'd only just got on there I'd tell them to keep playing for a bit and then give the other kids a turn.