+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nighttime sleep regression 4.5 months

My baby is 4.5 months and up until just recently sleep brilliantly at night from 7pm until 4amish every night. It has progressively gotten earlier and more frequent. Last night he woke 3 times. Tonight he has already woken 2 hours after going to bed. I tried to settle him for an hour and have given in an fed him (EBF). He has a cold which is adding to the issue.

Everyone keeps saying the sleep will come back but I worry about feeding to sleep becoming a crutch. He is already on solids and loving it, so I don't believe he is hungry at each wake up.

Anyone have experiences they can share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My LO was sleeping the same as yours till he got a cold and it's all gone downhill. I'm really hoping it'll go back how it was once his nose clears up so I'm interested in hearing the responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He could be teething? Or cold? These are the two major issues that cause wakeups here. Hopefully he is just wanting some extra mummy cuddles while he is sick.

Sorry im not much help, we dont get much sleep in this house either..

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DS was a great sleeper until 4 months. I still have no idea why, but a lot of my friends think there is a regression at around 4 months. He didn't start sleeping well until a visit to sleep school at 11 months. So no advice, just letting you know that I've been there, you're not alone. Hopefully your LO starts to sleep a bit more soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our little girl started waking up constantly from 4 months. At 8 months old, we started cosleeping and she was suddenly fine (and I really do mean suddenly - one night she was waking up every hour, the next night, she only woke up once.) She was fine from that point onwards and was sleeping through consistently from 8pm to 8am from 11 months old. If I'd known the poor sleep would last for several months, I would have started cosleeping earlier! (Not saying that you should, I just kick myself about the months of lost sleep!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's cold. It could be teeth but I don't see any sign of them.

Co sleeping isn't an option. I guess I better get comfy sitting on his floor at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS had a shocking sleep regression at 4-7 and then 8-10 months. The best advice I can give which you might not like and others might disagree with is; go with the flow, don't fight it you only end up doing your own head in trying to solve it, it will solve eventually and do whatever works and whatever suits you to get them back to sleep. We fed back to sleep until DS was 12 months and still do occasionally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD went through 4 weeks of sleep regression at this age. I didn't matter what I did, and she came out of it by herself. It is a myth that feeding to sleep will become a crutch or bad habit. My DD is now 13months old and I will feed to sleep some of the time, but most of the time she won't feed to sleep and that is just something that she has grown out of over time. Sometimes feeding to sleep is the only magic trick up your sleave to help get them to sleep, and for that reason I am glad I have continued. Co-sleeping also has helped us get through the sleep regressions (we've been through 3 so far). Good luck, I hope she sleeps more soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had a pretty bad run with sleep regression too at this age. Then it flowed into rolling over in bed, then teething. It was really up and down for a number of months, but I can't attribute all of that to sleep regression.

We started to make progress when we ruled out hunger as a cause of waking - for two nights straight, he went 11 hours without feeds as long as it wasn't me who went in to resettle him. Then from there, we made the most progress from being consistent with bed time routines and how we tackled the night wakings.

Good luck. It's a rough period :-(