+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I know you didn't ask me SPG, but I didn't drink around DD until maybe... this year? I had a drink at my birthday. She's 7. I think it's the only alcoholic drink I've ever had around her.

Why don't I drink around her generally? I really don't know. I just don't feel it's right to drink around her... not until she's older. Again, I'm not exactly sure why and it's not my upbringing... my Dad used to drink beer on the weekends, and Mum would have a glass of red of a night for as long as I can remember.

I do plan on getting off-my-face drunk for one night only in front of her when she's about 16. My mother did that and it was seriously the funniest thing I've ever seen. Kids need to have that crap to bring up at family gatherings... I don't want to deny DD that privilege.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I drink 1-4 glasses of wine a week, it varies on how much crap I've eaten. Less crap =wine

I'm allowed 3-4 drunken nights a year when not pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Because we talk about wine a lot, and have a fair bit in the house (for storing as well as drinking), and have it at many meals, we will absolutely drink around DS. I think it's important to normalise it tbh, at least in houses where it's normal, if you know what I mean.

Otherwise it's just this unknown adult thing and we all know that's just going to intrigue children all the more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You've all made me want to have a glass of wine. There's still leftover from the other day with the cooking... so I'm enjoying a lovely glass of white right now. (not the kind of glass you buy where it's mostly empty... I fill my damn glass!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I really only drink on special occasions when I'm around my family. I was never really a big drinker anyway. At xmas I was drinking strawberry and lime cider. Every now and then I feel like one but the $6+ per bottle is a bit of a turn off lol.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I know you didn't ask me SPG, but I didn't drink around DD until maybe... this year? I had a drink at my birthday. She's 7. I think it's the only alcoholic drink I've ever had around her.

Why don't I drink around her generally? I really don't know. I just don't feel it's right to drink around her... not until she's older. Again, I'm not exactly sure why and it's not my upbringing... my Dad used to drink beer on the weekends, and Mum would have a glass of red of a night for as long as I can remember.

I do plan on getting off-my-face drunk for one night only in front of her when she's about 16. My mother did that and it was seriously the funniest thing I've ever seen. Kids need to have that crap to bring up at family gatherings... I don't want to deny DD that privilege.
    Lol at not denying her something to hold over you.

I guess my parents always had a drink at night, not to excess but just as part of their lifestyle, and I was fortunate to live in an environment where alcohol was never problematic....and perhaps I like to delude myself that it makes me seem a little bit European, because they always say "the french drink with their meal everynight from an early age" (not that I plan on plying DD with alchohol until she is of a reasonable age).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If both of us are home, we tend to have a glass or 2 of wine most nights after kids in bed (6pm). Every Friday night, after the kids go to bed, we have 'date night', where we sit out on our front verandah and have nibblies and some champagne. It is what we do instead of going out, and we look forward to it each week. But, if DH away, then I won't drink anything. He has just gone away for the week, so I won't drink til he comes back. We are pretty interested in wine and order from different wineries and so forth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I may have 1-2 standard drinks over the weekend. Very tame indeed.

I've never been one to drink on a weeknight. When I was younger I would drink on the weekends, sometimes heavily.

My attitude to alcohol completely changed when I became a mum.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty much a non drinker. I have been tipsy three or four times in my life, and I can easily go without alcohol for months or years. I agree if someone thinks they may have a drinking problem, then they must have a reason for their concern. Talking about the drinking habits with a councillor, or even AA, might be a wise decision, or just going on a fast for a while, 30 days, might be a good idea, just to be able to assess the situation. In my opinion, if alcohol is taking up more of your brain space than your children or your partner, then perhaps that is a warning sign. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm lucky to drink once every few months & i work in a liquor store!