Closed Thread
Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows View Post
    I have been following and agree with most on here about this particular topic. Reading the article I feel horror, sadness, anger sorrow for the poor little bubba and for the many woman who struggle to conceive or woman who have experienced miscarriage, stillbirth or infant loss who would give anything to be blessed with a healthy baby. How heartbreaking.
    I do however believe woman should be allowed a choice although I have great difficulty accepting late term abortions except for medical reasons.

After thinking about this article I realized that the dr made a point of saying it was the husband being pushy and doing most of the talking. Do you think it's possible that this woman has been forced into this decision by her husband out of fear/cultural beliefs? If this is the case the absolute horror she must be feeling at her actions.
    I had the same impression. That the mother was being controlled by her husband.

I would also think that is western culture, parents would yearn for girls equally to boys. I got the impression the article was suggesting a cultural issue (those that prefer boys), but didn't come right out and say so.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I read this article this morning. I think this issue is part of a much bigger issue that the vast majority of us in Australia are pretty much oblivious to. The fact is that in many parts of the world, having a girl is nothing to celebrate unlike having a boy. In many cultures girls are not cherished, they are considered a burden. Some cultures don't even count girls when asked how many children you have (so I would say I have one child as I have 1 son and 1 daughter). Baby girls may be abandoned to die purely because they are girls.

We are very lucky to live in a country were abortion on the grounds of gender is met with such opposition. I don't mean that because I am anti-choice (which I am most definitely not), I mean that because in Australia, for the most part we would celebrate equally the birth of a boy or girl.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (28-04-2013),delirium  (28-04-2013),Ellewood  (28-04-2013),Guest654  (28-04-2013),Mokeybear  (28-04-2013),RobinSparkles  (28-04-2013),shelle65  (28-04-2013),snowqu33n  (28-04-2013),V8  (29-04-2013),VanityFey  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I read this article this morning. I think this issue is part of a much bigger issue that the vast majority of us in Australia are pretty much oblivious to. The fact is that in many parts of the world, having a girl is nothing to celebrate unlike having a boy. In many cultures girls are not cherished, they are considered a burden. Some cultures don't even count girls when asked how many children you have (so I would say I have one child as I have 1 son and 1 daughter). Baby girls may be abandoned to die purely because they are girls.

We are very lucky to live in a country were abortion on the grounds of gender is met with such opposition. I don't mean that because I am anti-choice (which I am most definitely not), I mean that because in Australia, for the most part we would celebrate equally the birth of a boy or girl.
    Absolutely Bec and thanks for addressing this issue from a cultural angle. It didn't even occur to me to think culturally even though I know everything you wrote is unfortunately the sad truth on a global scale.

PS We still haven't discussed the increfible writings of Ayaan Hirsi Ali but will soon!!
    Last edited by Ellewood; 28-04-2013 at 18:15.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (28-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Though I would never I still think is a woman's right to do with her body as she wants.

Reading the article I got the impression it was more something the father was pushing and maybe the woman really was being controlled and manipulated into this decision

Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post

This is enabling the absolute lack of gender equality present in these cultures. The disrespect shown to a particular sex in cultures is abhorrent and in no way should be encouraged, especially when it comes to abortion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    This is enabling the absolute lack of gender equality present in these cultures. The disrespect shown to a particular sex in cultures is abhorrent and in no way should be encouraged, especially when it comes to abortion!
    Not to mention messing with the natural order of things, which allows a relatively equal number of the genders which ensures the ongoing survival of the human order. It's fascinating how nature takes care of natural selection in this way, we shouldn't mess with that as it's dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know in India there is a ban on telling the gender just because of high rate girl abortions, even celebrity Aishwara had to fly to somewhere else to find out the sex of her baby for that reason.
    Personally is a big no for me, and also I am thinking, we are at risk of having to see it more often as people from those cultures (not valuing girls) are more and more numerous here, and obviously the transition to the different way of thinking (= to cherish all children, no matter what gender) will be very, very slow process, also not necessarily considered by themselves (if you kwim).
    God, why this is so complicated? When I think of those who try, suffer and really deserve to be parents.

Please, I don't want to stereotype or prejudice, it is just social processes and reality, whether we like it or not.
    Last edited by yvona; 28-04-2013 at 18:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the first article VicPark posted different than the link? I can't find the article.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    PS We still haven't discussed the increfible writings of Ayaan Hirsi Ali but will soon!!
    Most definitely! Essential reading for all!!

(sorry off topic)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    Reading the article I got the impression it was more something the father was pushing and maybe the woman really was being controlled and manipulated into this decision
    I think it would be a fair assumption that if the couple are seeking an abortion because the fetus is a girl and they are from a culture that does not cherish girl babies then it would be a male dominated culture so that may the reason why the husband did all the talking and was the dominant person.

I feel sorry for the woman. I bet your bottom dollar she has considered the growing person inside her a loved baby to-be. What an awful awful situation.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (28-04-2013)