Closed Thread
Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know you didn't mean offence by this, but I'm kind of shocked you would even compare aborting for medical issues and aborting for gender. Sure in both cases the baby was wanted, but in the latter only a boy was wanted. terminating bc there is something seriously wrong with the baby or bc of a serious risk to the mother is totally different. You are sensible and I'm sure I don't need to break it down further than that, but they are nowhere in the the same basket, not even close
    That's just your opinion, there is no 'fact' that says they are the same thing and certainly not that they are "totally different".
    That's your moral compass, not mine and certainly not everyone's!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    That's just your opinion, there is no 'fact' that says they are the same thing and certainly not that they are "totally different".
    That's your moral compass, not mine and certainly not everyone's!
    You are absolutely right, of course it's my opinion, I never said it was fact. But I find it very difficult to understand how anyone could put a termination for something like trisomy or an ectopic pg in the same basket as terminating bc the child was the wrong gender. I would go further into why I see them as poles apart, but given we have several who have terminated for medical reasons I won't.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-05-2013),Guest654  (01-05-2013),SassyMummy  (02-05-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I take issue with the definition of "pro choice" that's been given. I have no issue with a woman having an abortion up to roughly 14 or so weeks. Up to 24 weeks I think it should be a case by case basis and reasonable grounds required. I cannot, however, sanction an abortion that could (by using this definition) theoretically happen during labour without any reason other than the woman changed her mind. I will still continue to call myself pro-choice even though I have some boundaries. It is not a black and white issue.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-05-2013),Kirst33  (01-05-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But as I said earlier, the definition of pro-choice need only extend to a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy, not to terminate a viable baby. So a woman in labour is already in the throes of terminating her pregnancy (for want of a nicer word!) and would have no claim to killing the baby in the name of bodily autonomy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

gonnabeaGR8mum  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw a great quote on Facebook yesterday about this subject:

Being pro-choice doesn't mean I am pro-abortion.
    It just means that I know that it's none of my business.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-05-2013),Bennos Mummy  (01-05-2013),headoverfeet  (01-05-2013),lambjam  (01-05-2013),Lillynix  (01-05-2013),onionskin  (01-05-2013),RobinSparkles  (01-05-2013),SassyMummy  (01-05-2013),snowqu33n  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    You are absolutely right, of course it's my opinion, I never said it was fact. But I find it very difficult to understand how anyone could put a termination for something like trisomy or an ectopic pg in the same basket as terminating bc the child was the wrong gender. I would go further into why I see them as poles apart, but given we have several who have terminated for medical reasons I won't.
    I can imagine there would be childless people who would give the world for any child, even one who was severely disabled. I think that's all Jellyfishie is putting forward.

And here I have to agree with my philosophy lecturer; if you believe, truly believe, that abortion is murder (which I do not, but let's run with this for a moment) then it's murder whether your baby is perfectly healthy or severely disabled... Or a girl.

And if you do not believe that it's murder, then why oppose it? Why is it so in one instance but not another?

And (and this is the clincher!) if we are to accept that different people have different definitions of these things and different thresholds with which they're comfortable, then we are free to label ourselves "pro-choice" and accept that while something might contravene our beliefs, it does not contravene everybody's.
    Last edited by lambjam; 01-05-2013 at 21:05.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-05-2013),BigRedV  (01-05-2013),Lillynix  (01-05-2013),SassyMummy  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I can imagine there would be childless people who would give the world for any child, even one who was severely disabled. I think that's all Jellyfishie is put forward.

And here I have to agree with my philosophy lecturer; if you believe, truly believe, that abortion is murder (which I do not, but let's run with this for a moment) then it's murder whether your baby is perfectly healthy or severely disabled... Or a girl.

And if you do not believe that it's murder, then why oppose it? Why is it so in one instance but not another?
    I do believe it is murder. However I believe it is justifiable murder up to around 12 weeks, and after that only in cases of severe abnormality etc.

How can you not think aborting a baby at say 24 weeks is not murder?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    How can you not think aborting a baby at say 24 weeks is not murder?
    I think there's a huge distinction between killing a foetus at 24 weeks and inducing labour at 24 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why does abortion always have to be so black and white? Why does pro-choice have to be so totally in support abortion no matter what? Why does pro-life have to be totally in support of no abortion. Is there no common sense or ethical approach to this? If we base it on science, which IVF, Gender selection and all that stuff is, is it not ethical to also involve a scientific model of when a fetus becomes not only viable but also when able to sense? If we are going to allow abortion at all costs to ethics then society has failed as a liberal state. If we are going to embrace liberalism would it not also be fair to include viable and sensing human embryos amongst the numbers that deserve the same rights as others?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pax For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think people are trying to flesh out the thought process behind their beliefs. Just going with gut feelings isn't really adequate when we're telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

I think this kind of examination is brilliant; being able to explain and justify why I believe what I believe (to myself or publicly) is important to me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (01-05-2013)