Closed Thread
Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I think you're missing the point that a lot of people are making about what it means to be pro-choice. It's not about deciding what you think is the right reason to terminate. It's like believing in freedom of speech. If you believe in freedom of speech you have to accept that people are going to say things that you don't agree with. You support their right to say those things because that is what living in a free and fair society is all about. You can't expect to be able to control other people.
    Exactly. To be pro-choice is to accept other people's choices, not just your own.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2013)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I was pro-choice but if that means I am supposed to support someone aborting their 20wk old baby because it doesnt have the right genitalia then NOPE I guess Im NOT pro-choice after all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read the whole thread but I thought I'd give my view.

Firstly, I am completely against abortion due to gender. However, if this child was going to be unloved (and I assume this would be the case based on how desperate they were for a late term abortion) then maybe it was better for the child to not have been born. Also, if it was going to deeply affect the mothers mental health - although she should have been prepared for either gender if they had been trying so I feel this argument is a bit of a cop out.

Secondly, I am pro-choice. Before we started trying I had already discussed with my OH that if we were to fall pregnant I would abort as soon as I found out. To that end I was on the pill and my partner was using condoms and I was aware of my cycle. I did everything I could to prevent it and luckily it never happened. I have been desperate for children for years and yet I recognise that I was not in a situation where I could bring up a child. Thankfully we are now in that situation and we are lucky enough to be pregnant with our first.

Thirdly, I think being pro-choice is not just about the right of the mother over the child. I have given my hubby strict instructions that if something happens during labour and its me or the baby I want him to chose the baby. That is my choice. It is probably going to be quite controversial and unpopular but it is MY choice.

I value the opportunity that the society we lives in gives us. I value that I have the right to bodily autonomy and it saddens me that some believe this shouldn't be the case. Banning abortion at any stage will not stop abortions, it will only increase the deaths from abortions as people go to unqualified 'doctors' who are willing to perform the service for a great cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would like to see an example of marriage that would survive if there was no sex involved ever. Sure, there are a few cases here and there, but most marriages would not survive never having sex ever in case of pregnancy. What a silly idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I find it amazing that people go on about men who don't want to be fathers and sit there saying they should be abstinent and not have sex..then you get a women who gets pregnant and it's okay for them to terminate at any time of the pregnancy? I don't give a **** if it's her body. There is a life inside her... she chose to have sex.. she knows just like a man that a consequence of having sex is getting pregnant... I'm sorry.. but after a certain amount of time it's too bad so sad. If you don't want to have a baby then like people say about men DONT HAVE SEX!!! If you're going to terminate for non medical reasons then do it early.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (01-05-2013),SassyMummy  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You're against abortion unless medically necessary, so you don't believe in bodily autonomy.
    I believe in partial bodily autonomy... The right to terminate for non medically necessary reasons. And I agree with women doing other things to their body that dont involve abortion (botox, plastic surgery, shaving their heads, not wearing a bra, getting a tattoo, eating stupid carrot juice diets, choosing a c-sec). Abortion does not hold a monopoly over the phrase 'bodily autonomy'.

You saying I don't believe in bodily autonomy is like me saying you don't love babies because you're not campaigning to outlaw abortion. Its blowing hot air and distorting the facts.

Anyway who gives a hoot about a definition. What I think the intent is (and feel free to correct me!) is call me out on the fact that I only agree with abortion in a small number of cases. And you can't do that. You can disagree but you can't say Im wrong as its my personal view which I stand by.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The warning says nothing about late term abortions. I came into this thinking it was about IVF gender selection. Also some of the stuff posted yesterday was downright disturbing and had nothing to do with the OP (which I know you have no control over) but the heading should have said something about LTA.
    Oh... I just assumed people would read the OP that clarified there would be information about abortions. I can see how with the size this thread has grown to, that might not always happen.

I'm not sure how to change the title of the thread after it has been created. I reported your post : not in a bad way, just to ask a mod to help amend the title.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (01-05-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Vic Park, I have edited the title and changed the warning part to caps while I was there, let me know if you think it needs another edit.
    Cheers,
    B

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I believe in partial bodily autonomy... The right to terminate for non medically necessary reasons. And I agree with women doing other things to their body that dont involve abortion (botox, plastic surgery, shaving their heads, not wearing a bra, getting a tattoo, eating stupid carrot juice diets, choosing a c-sec). Abortion does not hold a monopoly over the phrase 'bodily autonomy'.

You saying I don't believe in bodily autonomy is like me saying you don't love babies because you're not campaigning to outlaw abortion. Its blowing hot air and distorting the facts.

Anyway who gives a hoot about a definition. What I think the intent is (and feel free to correct me!) is call me out on the fact that I only agree with abortion in a small number of cases. And you can't do that. You can disagree but you can't say Im wrong as its my personal view which I stand by.
    I haven't said you are wrong.

I've seen you say on here that you want abortion to be made illegal before. There's no bodily autonomy there.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm only up to post #146 but I wonder, I am reading people saying that this is different to the 'normal' reasons for a termination they are terminating due to gender not because they didn't want a child in general, people are posting saying they would do anything for a baby a healthy one. How is this any different to a couple terminating because the fetus has tested positive to some genetic disability ect? They obviously wanted a child as well.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Wow, thanks for posting that Vanity. I don't think he should be punished for it, there are many people on here who consider themselves pro choice and can't agree with gender terminations.
    From what I have read the reason he can (or is?) being punished is because he didn't refer the couple to another doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    For those who are against it on the basis of when it is done (rather than the reason why), what if you could tell the sex of the baby earlier on in the pregnancy?

Say there was a blood test you could have in the first trimester that told you the sex, what then?
    There is a very simple urine test that you can take to find out the gender of the fetus at 9 weeks http://www.easydna.com.au/content/in...section_id=117.

I'm pro-choice so my opinion of this subject is mute, not my pregnancy, not my choice.