Closed Thread
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think on this topic posters should be mindful that it could be distressing for women who have had to choose late term abortions for medical reasons, or have gone into premature labour before 24 weeks and lost babies. This is quite a sensitive topic for a lot of women.
    That's why there's a warning in the title and in the first line of the original post. Women have a responsibility to not read these types of threads if they think it will upset them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    That's why there's a warning in the title and in the first line of the original post. Women have a responsibility to not read these types of threads if they think it will upset them.
    The warning says nothing about late term abortions. I came into this thinking it was about IVF gender selection. Also some of the stuff posted yesterday was downright disturbing and had nothing to do with the OP (which I know you have no control over) but the heading should have said something about LTA.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (30-04-2013),peanutmonkey  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I want a girl sooo badly, but it doesnt mean i love my 3 boys any less? Makes me feel sick that someone could do that, not even taking into account the late termination.. Thats a whole other ethicsl issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I can't understand this view. If a child was being abused by its parents out of utero would you say "not my child not my choice"?

Legislating over things that don't directly affect you.... That's nothing new, it's a part of life already.
    Nope, but once a child is born, then they are entitled to bodily autonomy. Something you don't believe women should have.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2013),SassyMummy  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For those who are against it on the basis of when it is done (rather than the reason why), what if you could tell the sex of the baby earlier on in the pregnancy?

Say there was a blood test you could have in the first trimester that told you the sex, what then?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    For those who are against it on the basis of when it is done (rather than the reason why), what if you could tell the sex of the baby earlier on in the pregnancy?

Say there was a blood test you could have in the first trimester that told you the sex, what then?
    I was going to post the same thing but didnt think it would be well received but its a very good point. With 3D scanning you can tell as early as 15 weeks.

What about amniocentesis? How early can that test determine sex? Im sure its only a matter of time before early gender detection is available. After all 50+ years ago you couldnt find out sex till birth.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Nope, but once a child is born, then they are entitled to bodily autonomy. Something you don't believe women should have.
    You're *partially* right. I mostly believe in bodily autonomy but I don't believe women should have it at all cost. When the right to bodily autonomy results in something I consider to be abhorrent (eg terminating a baby based on gender) then I am not embarrassed or ashamed to say I do not think women should have that right.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

Yeah...I would still think it was very wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I've got another hypothetical to go along with Girl X's scenario.

What if you could have an early amnio test to test for things:
    - eye color
    - hair color
    - IQ
    - athletic ability
    - whether your baby would sleep through the night before 12 months
    - whether your baby would look like his father, your ex partner?

Would it be OK to terminate your baby if it was not that smart, a bad sleeper, couldnt kick a footy and looked like your ex?

Just trying to figure out if there is a line of unethicalness past which pro-choicers think termination should be allowed.

Would it be OK to terminate for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Yeah...I would still think it was very wrong
    But would you take that right away from a woman?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app