Closed Thread
Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Laws re Victoria are readily available online, the Abortion Law Reform Act 2008 is the current one. Clearly states available up to 36 weeks with 2 drs.

With regards to stats, Medicare release stats for each state based on their data, though it is widely acknowledged that these grossly underestimate the actual numbers as there are various circumstances where a Medicare service is not provided (eg. Patient chooses not to disclose Medicare number, opts to pay full fee privately without a Medicare rebate so not on their record, person on visa not eligible for Medicare card etc).
    SA/WA/NT keep more accurate stats, the SA ones are available to the public.

Re the number of babies born alive, I now suspect that stat is not available publicly. Prior to the recent wa election the gov were asked to respond to a report from KEMH (tertiary women's hospital in Perth) which recorded 14 live births following abortions. I was at the event where this was tabled to the premier.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-04-2013),SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Laws re Victoria are readily available online, the Abortion Law Reform Act 2008 is the current one. Clearly states available up to 36 weeks with 2 drs.

With regards to stats, Medicare release stats for each state based on their data, though it is widely acknowledged that these grossly underestimate the actual numbers as there are various circumstances where a Medicare service is not provided (eg. Patient chooses not to disclose Medicare number, opts to pay full fee privately without a Medicare rebate so not on their record, person on visa not eligible for Medicare card etc).
    SA/WA/NT keep more accurate stats, the SA ones are available to the public.

Re the number of babies born alive, I now suspect that stat is not available publicly. Prior to the recent wa election the gov were asked to respond to a report from KEMH (tertiary women's hospital in Perth) which recorded 14 live births following abortions. I was at the event where this was tabled to the premier.

ETA - On reflection, due to the number or women on this forum that have experienced a late term termination. Disregard my questions, it's probably a bit too distressing.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 30-04-2013 at 00:09. Reason: No need to go there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just edited my post above as I misquoted - it wasn't 14 live births in a year, that was across a number of years. They are recorded as 20+ weeks gestation, with at least one being over 26 weeks.

Just found a horrific account of a baby in Darwin which survived for 80 minutes!

Now I'M wanting to bury my head in the sand...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    ETA - On reflection, due to the number or women on this forum that have experienced a late term termination. Disregard my questions, it's probably a bit too distressing.
    Yes please. Enough.

I wish I could unread this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think on this topic posters should be mindful that it could be distressing for women who have had to choose late term abortions for medical reasons, or have gone into premature labour before 24 weeks and lost babies. This is quite a sensitive topic for a lot of women.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Victoria allows late term terminations up to 40 weeks.
    Yes, but only on strict medical grounds. You can also get terminations approved in other states after 20 weeks, but you need to sit before a panel to get approval.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 30-04-2013 at 05:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    I stopped reading a few pages ago, but I cannot believe how naive people are being in thinking that late term abortions for non medical reasons are uncommon. You're living in dream world people.
    In Victoria, all you need are two doctors to agree, so basically one to agree that you shouldn't have to have the baby, and another to actually do the abortion.
    A doctor doesn't even have the right to conscientiously object to this practice anymore (this was felt by many to be one of the biggest moral losses when the law was passed).

There are also stats on numbers of babies born alive after abortions, in WA there have been 14 (edited to correct myself). Born alive, but they still die through denial of medical care or active infanticide.

You can sugar coat it to yourself all you like if it helps you sleep at night, but don't try to sell your disillusionment as fact. The stats are out there for anyone to read if they want them.
    Well why don't you post these stats?

Included in numbers for abortion are foetuses that have already died, so I don't think the number is underestimated.

A doctor in Victoria can object, just like the doctor in this case did.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 30-04-2013 at 05:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It's not saying that a woman should be able to do whatever she wants because she's a woman. It's saying that she deserves the right to say that she doesn't want to be supporting another life inside of her own body. Have her own health put at risk for something she doesn't want to be there.

Some women are not happy to be used as the life-force to sustain a being they do not want to exist within their body. It should always be their right to say that they do not wish to put that kind of pressure and responsibility on their own body, that they are not happy to be used as a host by their foetus. It should always be their right to say, "No, I do not want this in my body, it's my body and I do not want this within it." Same as we could say no to having anything else put inside our bodies without our desire to have it in there.
    The OP isn't talking about a situation where the mother's life is at risk (at least not on the face of it) & it's not a situation where she was not happy for her body to be 'used as a host by a baby'. She just didn't want to 'host' a girl. A girl would put no more 'pressure and responsibility' on her body than a boy. Again, this assumes that she was not suffering from severe psychological trauma due to being pregnant with a boy - but, even so, I re-state my view that women in this situation should undergo psychological evaluation and treatment before having an abortion. This protects the wellbeing of the mother too. Can you imagine how distressed/guilty you would feel after you revovered from the psychological break (if you did recover) if you had an abortion when you weren't in a fit mental state? I know if I was in that situation, & a Dr consented to giving me an abortion without a strict psychological evaluation, I'd take legal action. But that wouldn't bring my baby back.

No offence is intended by my post, especially to anyone who has experienced an abortion. I also reiterate that I don't label myself as pro-life or pro-choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I am well aware of the procedures involved. I am still 100% pro-choice. Not my uterus? Not my choice!
    I can't understand this view. If a child was being abused by its parents out of utero would you say "not my child not my choice"?

Legislating over things that don't directly affect you.... That's nothing new, it's a part of life already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    The OP isn't talking about a situation where the mother's life is at risk (at least not on the face of it) & it's not a situation where she was not happy for her body to be 'used as a host by a baby'. She just didn't want to 'host' a girl. A girl would put no more 'pressure and responsibility' on her body than a boy. Again, this assumes that she was not suffering from severe psychological trauma due to being pregnant with a boy - but, even so, I re-state my view that women in this situation should undergo psychological evaluation and treatment before having an abortion. This protects the wellbeing of the mother too. Can you imagine how distressed/guilty you would feel after you revovered from the psychological break (if you did recover) if you had an abortion when you weren't in a fit mental state? I know if I was in that situation, & a Dr consented to giving me an abortion without a strict psychological evaluation, I'd take legal action. But that wouldn't bring my baby back.

No offence is intended by my post, especially to anyone who has experienced an abortion. I also reiterate that I don't label myself as pro-life or pro-choice.
    Good point. If someone wants to terminate based in gender they obviously have issues and more thorough treatment and support should be compulsary. They should have to get a doctor to say they are in a fit state of mind to make the decision.