Closed Thread
Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really wish that I was pro choice but it is threads like this one that make me face the fact that if I had to choose a side it would be pro life.

Intellectually I agree with sassy as I am someone who despises the government taking away our rights but emotionally I just cannot stop thinking of the baby (and emotionally it is a baby to me not just cells etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I think we as a society are so short sighted. We don't care about starving children overseas, because its not in our own backyard. We don't actually see their suffering firsthand, so we try to pretend its not real. Someone complained at our local Christmas carols because a world vision volunteer asked if people would like to donate to help those less fortunate. The complainer said they don't like to hear about that sort of thing at the Christmas carols, it spoiled their night to be asked to think about those less fortunate.
    there was a Jamie Oliver tv show ages ago that showed baby chickens being killed, and it caused a huge turn around in people only buying free range/ organic chicken & eggs because they actually saw the suffering first hand, it made it 'real' to them as to what actually happens that they are so ignorant to.
    Yet I bet some of those people who only buy free range organic chicken, because of how sad it was to see the suffering of those baby chicks, are staunchly pro choice. I just cannot fathom how someone can be so callous and hard hearted towards a tiny little baby. I had a baby in the scu, I know hubbers who have had nicu babies, and it is so hard to fathom those tiny little humans being aborted. It just break my heart every time I think about it. It absolutely devastates me, that we as a society do nothing to defend those who are the most defenceless. I get that they have no rights yet but they are little human beings. I just find it so upsetting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It should always be their right to say that they do not wish to put that kind of pressure and responsibility on their own body, that they are not happy to be used as a host by their foetus. It should always be their right to say, "No, I do not want this in my body, it's my body and I do not want this within it." Same as we could say no to having anything else put inside our bodies without our desire to have it in there.
    Babies don't just get "put inside" there. Everybody knows that having Sex can result in a baby. If you don't want a baby then take all precautions to prevent it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

MummaJez  (01-05-2013),wannawannabe  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Any woman that uses abortion as a form of contraception is an idiot. The cost to your body and to your hip pocket are so much worse than just using a condom, the pill or some other form of contraception.

People are not infallible though and mistakes are easily made.

I am on the pill to prevent pregnancy but I tell you now, if it failed... If I got gastro and so it didn't work... If I missed a day cos I went out to a party and forgot... If other medication messed with it... If I fell pregnant for any reason... I am glad to know that I don't have to just suck it up and have a baby I am not ready to have.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2013),Lillynix  (29-04-2013),wannawannabe  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Any woman that uses abortion as a form of contraception is an idiot. The cost to your body and to your hip pocket are so much worse than just using a condom, the pill or some other form of contraception.

People are not infallible though and mistakes are easily made.

I am on the pill to prevent pregnancy but I tell you now, if it failed... If I got gastro and so it didn't work... If I missed a day cos I went out to a party and forgot... If other medication messed with it... If I fell pregnant for any reason... I am glad to know that I don't have to just suck it up and have a baby I am not ready to have.
    Yeps this was the point I was making in my post. At least make an effort to prevent it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella82 View Post
    Honestly, I think we as a society are so short sighted. We don't care about starving children overseas, because its not in our own backyard. We don't actually see their suffering firsthand, so we try to pretend its not real. Someone complained at our local Christmas carols because a world vision volunteer asked if people would like to donate to help those less fortunate. The complainer said they don't like to hear about that sort of thing at the Christmas carols, it spoiled their night to be asked to think about those less fortunate.
    there was a Jamie Oliver tv show ages ago that showed baby chickens being killed, and it caused a huge turn around in people only buying free range/ organic chicken & eggs because they actually saw the suffering first hand, it made it 'real' to them as to what actually happens that they are so ignorant to.
    Yet I bet some of those people who only buy free range organic chicken, because of how sad it was to see the suffering of those baby chicks, are staunchly pro choice. I just cannot fathom how someone can be so callous and hard hearted towards a tiny little baby. I had a baby in the scu, I know hubbers who have had nicu babies, and it is so hard to fathom those tiny little humans being aborted. It just break my heart every time I think about it. It absolutely devastates me, that we as a society do nothing to defend those who are the most defenceless. I get that they have no rights yet but they are little human beings. I just find it so upsetting.
    My baby was in the nicu, born at 31 weeks. I'm still pro choice. Do I feel conflicted? Yes. But ultimately not my uterus, not my choice.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2013),HowCrazyCool  (29-04-2013),lambjam  (29-04-2013),Lillynix  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Yeps this was the point I was making in my post. At least make an effort to prevent it.

I'd wager that the vast majority of women are making the effort.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2013),Lillynix  (29-04-2013),SassyMummy  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Babies don't just get "put inside" there. Everybody knows that having Sex can result in a baby. If you don't want a baby then take all precautions to prevent it.
    Of course, but abortion isn't just utilised by people who have endless amounts of unprotected sex and then decide to duck down to the clinic for their 17th abortion.

I have sex. It's protected. I do not want to have a baby at this point in time and would actually be quite devastated if I discovered I was pregnant.

I am not saying I would automatically have an abortion, I have no idea what choice I would make. But I am glad that I do actually have a choice, however tough it would be to make, because having a baby I do not want to have, that I resent, would be much worse for me, my existing family and the baby itself (because it will grow up, and I have no doubt in my mind it will feel some of the effects of being born to a mother who really didn't want to have it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped reading a few pages ago, but I cannot believe how naive people are being in thinking that late term abortions for non medical reasons are uncommon. You're living in dream world people.
    In Victoria, all you need are two doctors to agree, so basically one to agree that you shouldn't have to have the baby, and another to actually do the abortion.
    A doctor doesn't even have the right to conscientiously object to this practice anymore (this was felt by many to be one of the biggest moral losses when the law was passed).

There are also stats on numbers of babies born alive after abortions, in WA there have been 14 (edited to correct myself). Born alive, but they still die through denial of medical care or active infanticide.

You can sugar coat it to yourself all you like if it helps you sleep at night, but don't try to sell your disillusionment as fact. The stats are out there for anyone to read if they want them.
    Last edited by Jellyfishie; 29-04-2013 at 23:50.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013),wannawannabe  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella82 View Post
    I think you're right, and people would rather not know what actually happens to a viable baby that is terminated late term because it is too distressing to hear the truth. I find it sad that we a a society would support something we have little or no knowledge of - how can you be pro choice for a late term abortion if you have no idea of how that abortion actually occurs? Some people have no idea How the babies life is terminated when induced labour would mean that they would survive and it would be an unsuccessful abortion, so the dr needs to take measures to ensure that a healthy baby is no longer so. Google abortion procedures, even google image it, and then come back and say that you are 100% pro choice.
    I am well aware of the procedures involved. I am still 100% pro-choice. Not my uterus? Not my choice!

I am comfortable with laws being in place to govern over abortions (doctors signing off for eg) because ultimately, there's not going to be a free reign over the woman's choice. What i am vehemently against, is anti-abortion laws. It only serves to the detriment of women. Backyard abortions, anyone?

*I can haz typos*

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2013)