Closed Thread
Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 579
  1. #201
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't delete peanut monkey. You post was not offensive. This is a tough issue for many different reasons for everyone I think.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    Clementine Grace  (29-04-2013)

  3. #202
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinSparkles View Post
    I also struggle to grasp the concept of being pro choice except for... but... only until... Would this not be taking away the choice some women make to terminate late or for whichever reason they choose? How is that still pro choice? Pro choice as long as its the same as your choice? I am genuinely interested in hearing someones view on this as I do feel it is black and white if you label yourself pro choice - there can of course be a middle ground but I don't feel that is either pro choice nor pro life. I completely agree that this is a very very horrible reason and I cannot understand or even sympathise but I think the choice should still be their own, to take it away would be the start of a long line of problems.
    Why can't I be prochoice up to 12 weeks and then say no? I have said before I am not at all comfortable with LTA - I am currently 23 weeks and the thought of terminating the life inside me makes me feel physically sick. If I was told tomorrow this baby would not survive the birth and would die then maybe I'd feel differently, but sorry I can't wrap my head about a person deciding at 19 or 21 weeks that they don't want the baby anymore.

    Why isn't that an acceptable position? For a person to say i am pro choice but only up to a certain gestational point, unless the baby is incompatible with life?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (29-04-2013)

  5. #203
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why can't I be prochoice up to 12 weeks and then say no? I have said before I am not at all comfortable with LTA - I am currently 23 weeks and the thought of terminating the life inside me makes me feel physically sick. If I was told tomorrow this baby would not survive the birth and would die then maybe I'd feel differently, but sorry I can't wrap my head about a person deciding at 19 or 21 weeks that they don't want the baby anymore.

    Why isn't that an acceptable position? For a person to say i am pro choice but only up to a certain gestational point, unless the baby is incompatible with life?
    Because that's not pro-choice.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013)

  7. #204
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Because that's not pro-choice.
    Why not? Why can the law say 20 weeks but not after that? Is that not pro choice? Do you think pro choice means termination up to 40 weeks? What is your definition?

  8. #205
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,565
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,254
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    RobinSparkles (cool name btw) - Maybe you're right & if you label yourself pro-choice or pro-life then it's all or nothing. The point I was trying to make is that people shouldn't have to subscribe to the ideals of one or the other. I choose not to label myself. Instead, I choose to look at each case on its merits & make a judgement about whether I feel the situation is right or wrong (according to my personal moral code). In the situation described, with the information available to me, I believe the choice to abort this baby just because she was a girl is morally wrong. If the woman had a gun to her head (or her life was threatened in another way), I might feel differently.

    Someone else mentioned the idea of having mandatory psychological evaluations for women contemplating late stage abortions. I think this is a great idea. In this case, if it was a case of cultural pressures (&/or an abusive husband) a psychological assessment may have picked this up and perhaps the woman could have been offered protection from her husband. She may not have accepted it, & preferred to have the abortion and stay with him, but at least the rights of both mother and child would have been considered.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

    Turk EnJayDee  (29-04-2013)

  10. #206
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Pro-choice, IMO, is about respecting the fact that we all have different morals and ethics, and that they woman should be free to use her own personal set of morals and ethics to decide whether her reasons are valid or not.

    That doesn't mean that you nod and think every reason a woman might have is fine and dandy... it just means that you understand that what she views as valid may not be what YOU view as valid... and don't believe that your own personal beliefs should be pushed on her in regards to the contents of her uterus.

    There are times when I have seriously doubted my stance... not because I see abortion as wrong, but because there are situations that make me feel really really uncomfortable. It's not simple to be pro-choice, but to be pro-choice means you're saying, "Yep, it's your right to make that choice, not mine." It's not about putting disclaimers on it.

    The LAW may put disclaimers on abortion - but the law isn't truly pro-choice, especially since not all states in Australia support legal abortion. Being truly pro-choice means that you have to seriously believe that everyone deserves to make their own choices... even if you think those choices are absolutely revolting.

    The alternative is for someone to put their own morals and ethics on another person's uterus... and to me, that's not cool, because while those morals and ethics might seem reasonable to some, they're not to everyone. I mean, who gets to decide what's "reasonable," and what's not? To some, unreasonable is ANY sort of abortion. To others, it's abortion other than those for medical reasons or rape. I don't want someone else thinking they have the right to declare me an incubator because THEY think that's the moral thing to do... because those aren't my beliefs at all.

    Taking away choice, even when the choices people make are disgusting, is dangerous and so very very anti-woman. Since we all have differing opinions on the matter, each individual woman should be free to decide where that "line," is and where it's not... for her. It's the only way to not inflict our beliefs on others, to their detriment.

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (29-04-2013),bugsy  (29-04-2013),Guest654  (29-04-2013),HowCrazyCool  (29-04-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (29-04-2013),RobinSparkles  (29-04-2013)

  12. #207
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why not? Why can the law say 20 weeks but not after that? Is that not pro choice? Do you think pro choice means termination up to 40 weeks? What is your definition?
    It's not about my definition, it's about the definition of the person terminating, whether we like it or not.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    HowCrazyCool  (29-04-2013)

  14. #208
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why not? Why can the law say 20 weeks but not after that? Is that not pro choice? Do you think pro choice means termination up to 40 weeks? What is your definition?
    I thought pro choice is when a person has full control over what happens with their body no matter what the circumstances so in theory a person who is truly pro choice would believe that a women could terminate a pregnancy at 38 weeks if she wanted to.
    That was my understanding of someone who is truly/fully pro choice but I could be wrong.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

    SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013)

  16. #209
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Ok so I've never really thought about it in this level of detail. If you are truly pro choice does that mean any time up to birth is ok for a woman to have an abortion? I'm truly just trying t understand as the definition of pro choice is extremely broad and puts no time frame on the woman's right to choose. I definitely could never support an abortion at say 30 weeks. Does pro choice mean you have to? Because it does seem that way based n what I've read.

  17. #210
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's not about my definition, it's about the definition of the person terminating, whether we like it or not.
    BRV all I'm asking is what is that definition? You keep saying people on here aren't pro choice but I'm genuinely asking what that means. What do you mean when you say you are pro choice?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Curious about gender selection
    By Lozie in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 09:21
  2. Xanax + alcohol *possibly distressing*
    By AndrewTheEmu in forum Battling addiction?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 21:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
SRC Pregnancy & Recovery Shorts
Want pain relief during pregnancy, and to continue working and exercising? Fancy a speedy recovery after childbirth? Want to regain your pre-baby body shape fast? Recommended by healthcare professionals, SRC compression products will let your body do its most important work.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!