Closed Thread
Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 589
  1. #191
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    5,946
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked
    2,080
    Reviews
    16
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    My understanding always was that pro-life is pro-life, not pro-fetus. If giving birth to a child will harm the mother in any way, surely common sense prevails & the mother has the right to a safe termination of the pregnancy (i.e. the life of the mother is equal to the life of the baby)? If not, that's every bit a stupid as saying "a woman can do whatever she wants to her body for whatever reason she wants". It can't be black and white, and policy makers should have a role in protecting the rights of all citizens (including unborn babies), without prejudice.
    Not according to anti-abortion laws in Ireland or El Salvador.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_3150147.html

    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741
    Last edited by Lillynix; 29-04-2013 at 17:45.

  2. #192
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,699
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,289
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Not according to anti-abortion laws in Ireland or El Salvador.

    *I can haz typos*
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...ion-death.html

    http://www.salon.com/2013/04/26/el_s...abortion_case/

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Lillynix  (29-04-2013)

  4. #193
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    2,377
    Thanked
    903
    Reviews
    72
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also struggle to grasp the concept of being pro choice except for... but... only until... Would this not be taking away the choice some women make to terminate late or for whichever reason they choose? How is that still pro choice? Pro choice as long as its the same as your choice? I am genuinely interested in hearing someones view on this as I do feel it is black and white if you label yourself pro choice - there can of course be a middle ground but I don't feel that is either pro choice nor pro life. I completely agree that this is a very very horrible reason and I cannot understand or even sympathise but I think the choice should still be their own, to take it away would be the start of a long line of problems.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

    HowCrazyCool  (29-04-2013),Lillynix  (29-04-2013),onionskin  (29-04-2013)

  6. #194
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    5,946
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked
    2,080
    Reviews
    16
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you! I was looking up links to those stories whilst you posted. I'm a bit slow on my phone!

    *I can haz typos*

  7. #195
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,053
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,481
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post

    I just don't get gender selection. A child should be a blessing, whether its a boy or a girl. If you get 3 boys in a row and want a girl then it's the way the cookie crumbles and you should just be grateful for healthy children. I don't get it.
    I'll just be clear that I personally dont agree with gender selection except for genetic reasons.

    However - Your statement however has upset me. I happen to know quite a few women who suffered from gender disappointment after going through IVF for infertility. Once again, as I stated earlier in this thread, for the vast majority of people who suffer from GD, it isnt about the baby you are carrying or not being grateful for a healthy baby. Its letting go of the son/daughter you'll never have.

    I dont expect everyone who hasnt felt it to understand it. You dont have to 'get' it. But it doesnt mean you are not grateful for a healthy baby. The 2 emotions are separate, and people feel enough guilt as it is for their feelings. We dont need to be made out to be selfish, horrible people who are not grateful.

    Sorry but this has hit a nerve for me. Terminating a baby because of their gender is not gender disappointment. It is much, much more extreme.

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

    dancingchipmunk  (29-04-2013),gonnabeaGR8mum  (29-04-2013),Little Boys Blue  (29-04-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (29-04-2013),River Song  (29-04-2013),RobinSparkles  (29-04-2013)

  9. #196
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,053
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,481
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Sorry I feel like I should delete my last post. A very bad day, plus pregnancy hormones and an issue im still struggling with has made this topic a little too touchy for me, I am going to bow out now. Sorry if I upset anyone.

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I'll just be clear that I personally dont agree with gender selection except for genetic reasons.

    However - Your statement however has upset me. I happen to know quite a few women who suffered from gender disappointment after going through IVF for infertility. Once again, as I stated earlier in this thread, for the vast majority of people who suffer from GD, it isnt about the baby you are carrying or not being grateful for a healthy baby. Its letting go of the son/daughter you'll never have.

    I dont expect everyone who hasnt felt it to understand it. You dont have to 'get' it. But it doesnt mean you are not grateful for a healthy baby. The 2 emotions are separate, and people feel enough guilt as it is for their feelings. We dont need to be made out to be selfish, horrible people who are not grateful.

    Sorry but this has hit a nerve for me. Terminating a baby because of their gender is not gender disappointment. It is much, much more extreme.

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm sorry for upsetting you, but as I said, I personally don't get it. Its only my personal opinion. Gender selection must stem from not wanting one gender over another and of course a much more extreme action to terminate. I'm really not lumping them together because they are vastly different. I'm not trying to say they are the same.

    I've not said anyone is selfish or ungrateful, I said I don't get it? I'm in quite a big support group of IVF women and whenever they see gender disappointment threads on here I can assure you they can get very upset about it. Every woman I know doing ivf, and that's quite a few, are desperate to have that healthy child no matter the sex, the same as I was. I've spend a lot of time in the ivf world and I've never come across anyone who wasn't thrilled with a healthy pregnancy no matter the sex, so I might have an altered perspective.

  11. #198
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Sorry I feel like I should delete my last post. A very bad day, plus pregnancy hormones and an issue im still struggling with has made this topic a little too touchy for me, I am going to bow out now. Sorry if I upset anyone.

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Don't delete that what this forum is for, expressing your opinion

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (29-04-2013),Busy-Bee  (29-04-2013)

  13. #199
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Don't delete peanutmonkey. It is good to hear your point of view!

  14. #200
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    3,792
    Thanked
    2,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agreed, we all have different opinions that's what makes the forum wonderful, I actually really enjoy reading opinions I hadn't considered, it makes me less narrow minded and has me use my brain more - always a plus!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

    Clementine Grace  (29-04-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Curious about gender selection
    By Lozie in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 09:21
  2. Xanax + alcohol *possibly distressing*
    By AndrewTheEmu in forum Battling addiction?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 21:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Life Fertility
Life Fertility Clinic is a boutique fertility clinic located in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Our dedicated fertility and IVF specialists offer professional, holistic, personalised options for the treatment of each patient’s specific needs.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!