Closed Thread
Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Depending on which state you were in you might not need the approval if a medical board, just a dr needs to agree to do the procedure.
    Yes, in Victoria you can terminate at your will until 24 weeks. After that it can only be medically necessary and you need two drs to sign off on it. The article states it was a Melbourne couple so they would not have needed a medical reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    All I know is I could never be the dr or a midwife in the room when an otherwise healthy baby was delivered at 20 weeks and then died without even a cuddle from its parents bec its sex was unacceptable. God I'd be haunted for life.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (29-04-2013),Cazza1981  (29-04-2013),Jellyfishie  (28-04-2013),TheMadHatter  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes! I think you're agreeing with me? I'm tired and it's getting a bit late for me

I absolutely think it's wrong, but that is my belief, I'm not about to force it onto others.
    lol yes we agree. I guess my point is that you can disagree with aborting over gender and still be pro choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Yes, in Victoria you can terminate at your will until 24 weeks. After that it can only be medically necessary and you need two drs to sign off on it. The article states it was a Melbourne couple so they would not have needed a medical reason.
    Thanks. That was my understanding too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It's an abhorrent senario, isn't it? I am pro choice, always will be, but I can't understand this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol yes we agree. I guess my point is that you can disagree with aborting over gender and still be pro choice.
    Haha! Sorry, like I said, tired and it's my bedtime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I consider myself pro-life. I don't think discontinuing access to safe abortion is the way to go, but the Abortion laws in Victoria are all kinds of wrong IMO. I personally think the baby's right to life should trump the mother's right to bodily autonomy. Thats just me, I believe life starts at conception and while it may inconvenience a woman to have to carry a baby full term (if she were to adopt the baby out), I don't think that is worse than the act of terminating a pregnancy.

Having said that, I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who has felt that was their only option. I have not walked in their shoes, so I try not to pass judgment.

I agree with a couple of PP (one pro-life and one pro-choice) who said that this case is really not much different to any other reason (bar incompatibility with life) a woman chooses to terminate. Women choose abortion for a multitude of reasons, and you either agree that a woman's right to choose/bodily autonomy is more important than the life of the baby, or its not. In Victoria, up til 24 weeks, you can terminate for whatever reason you want, no questions asked. And if the place you request it refuses, they are obligated BY LAW to refer you to someone who will.

I feel for the woman in the article, I doubt it was her decision (just from reading the article) and its cases like this that make me more against abortion, especially such easy access to it, because there are SO MANY cases where women are coerced into it by their husbands, boyfriends, mothers etc, and they are the ones who have to live with that decision for the rest of their lives. It makes me really sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the thread but people like that do not deserve babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have always considered myself pro choice, but like a lot of others on this thread, terminating a pregnancy because of gender makes me feel really upset. I wish these kinds of things didn't happen.

But then I think to myself, that if we didn't have the choice, we'd be back to backyard abortions just like in the not so distant past.

And even if I don't agree with someones reasons for termination, I will still defend free and safe abortions for all women. Because for me, forcing a women to keep a pregnancy when she doesn't want to or can't (for whatever reason) is akin to torture.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (29-04-2013),ChickyBee  (29-04-2013),Guest654  (29-04-2013),onionskin  (29-04-2013),SassyMummy  (29-04-2013),VanityFey  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with previous posters, I find abortion for the reason of gender selection or late term abortion for non medical reasons abhorrent.

At the end of the day though, you can get an abortion for any reason. As far as I know, you don't need to state your reason or have your reasons assessed when you book in for a termination. I knew a chick who had three within 18 months, it was basically a form of contraception for her. I personally find that very sad, but that's just me. Everyone is different.

I'd hope that a doctor wouldn't perform a late term abortion because the parents found out the gender and didn't want it, I 'd find that dispicable.

As someone who has taken years to have a baby and knows so many wonderful women who go to hell and back while TTC I get quite upset by gender selection threads or gender disappointment threads. It's a 50/50 chance, if you don't like one of those options then don't try to have a baby.

I just personally don't understand those who aren't satisfied with a healthy baby.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 28-04-2013 at 23:00.