Closed Thread
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Not true. Many times because the baby is so young and small it dies before birth or during because its body cannot handle the trauma. Also, because their lungs are not developed enough, if they are alive immediately after birth they die almost immediately because they can't breath and dr's will not try and assist/resuscitate them until 24 weeks. If a baby is alive after a medically necessary termination the parents usually hold them until they pass on their own. Sorry for the TMI but I'm part of a few support groups of women who have lost their babies for various reasons (died in-utero, medical termination, pre-term labor/delivery). I also read many pregnancy loss books (stories from women who have lost) in an effort to feel less alone.
    Yep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's wrong to you (and me) and the majority of people, but clearly not to some.

I agree with sassy, you're either pro-choice or you're not. Nobody is comfortable with abortion on either side of the fence.
    Well if being pro-choice means I have to accept this then I guess I'm not.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Well if being pro-choice means I have to accept this then I guess I'm not.
    Count me in on that boat too then!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsoptomistic For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been reading along trying to think whether or not to reply. This topic is such a hard one for me to understand, yet I can immediately name a person who, had they been able to, would have chosen this route.

My MIL, desperately wanted daughters. Even bought all pink when she was pregnant with both of her children. She has 2 sons. Last year, I gave birth to her 2nd grandchild, my son. The difference between her affections towards DS and my older DD, is astounding.

Personally I cannot handle it. It hurts me more than anything because I never want my son to feel like he isn't good enough. The way his father and uncle have felt their whole lives. It is absolutely un-called for.

I get gender disappointment. I would never have ill feelings toward someone for that.

I don't believe a termination based on gender should be anyone's choice, but as a pp mentioned, said child may be ill-treated due to severe gender disappointed and have to deal with feeling unworthy their whole lives or possibly even worse. It is a very difficult subject and I think there should be a mass amount of counselling for someone making this choice prior to the procedure being agreed upon.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dont know if its been said but in that article the dr states the husband did all the talking. Sooo maybe this was against the mothers wishes? Maybe she was too frightened to speak up/ run away etc?

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's wrong to you (and me) and the majority of people, but clearly not to some.

I agree with sassy, you're either pro-choice or you're not. Nobody is comfortable with abortion on either side of the fence.
    But I think you are saying what many of us are. That we accept women have a right to choose, but for this particular reason, we don't agree with it. I've realised over the years you can support choice but not agree with that choice. They are 2 separate arguments.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (29-04-2013),BigRedV  (29-04-2013),Rutabaga  (28-04-2013),snowqu33n  (28-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I wouldn't think this would be common whatsoever, and would they even be approved by the medical boards? The only way I could see this passing is if it was causing someone genuine mental distress from some sort of fear of one sex.

Either way, I get that gender is such a massive, massive deal in many cultures including ours. It's not something I understand, but heck most of us promote gender stereotyping and want our girls and boys to be X so I guess we have to accept that this has negative results as well.
    Depending on which state you were in you might not need the approval if a medical board, just a dr needs to agree to do the procedure.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Benji  (28-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But I think you are saying what many of us are. That we accept women have a right to choose, but for this particular reason, we don't agree with it. I've realised over the years you can support choice but not agree with that choice. They are 2 separate arguments.
    Yes! I think you're agreeing with me? I'm tired and it's getting a bit late for me

I absolutely think it's wrong, but that is my belief, I'm not about to force it onto others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get the longing for a certain gender, I really do, but I could never terminate for that reason.

My aunty had 6 boys, 10 pregnancies. She wanted a girl so badly it still upsets her to this day but she is happy with her lot. Its just the way it goes.

I can understand termination based on medical grounds re gender but just because you don't want a boy or girl doesn't sit right with me.

I like to think I'm pro choice, but this is something I cannot agree with. But is the alternative a baby of the unwanted gender growing up unwanted? That doesn't seem fair to the baby either.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    And look what just came up in my FB news feed - "Woman Married to 5 Brothers".
    http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/ne...to-5-brothers/
    It's the last paragraph that stands out
    While the advance of modernity has seen the archaic practice largely die out in most areas, the shortage of women in countries such as China and India has helped keep it alive as a solution to young men’s difficulties in finding a wife.